Sun wasp maillot jaune

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 133641 Just bought this advert off fleabay ...from 1961 (same year as my bike apperntly) although its just a drawing it shows the pump on the top tube & side pull brakes ...mine has pump peg on seat tube & centre pulls with bridge <rolleyes> !! But it looks like the chainset should be a c1200 (tick) & saddle should be a swallow (tick) also it looks like there were double chrome bands on downtube but not on the top tube... I realise this is extremely dull for anyone else... but I love a bit of detective work me lol

Good work Holmes! Does it say about the colours in the rest of the advert or is that all.

Jeffhop21

I was going to say sorry, but there must be a couple of slides that my brother had of it. Where is another question.
I am just trying to think, I don't think it is on my slides from the trip to Scotland, it was a School/ Young Farmers trip staying in Youth Hostels with cycling in between.
My Sun was over all blue with only the seat tube and steering tube decorated where as your Sun seems to have a splash of one colour here and another colour there. It must have looked a bit like a Macaw.
I will do a bit more searching. I have still got the brakes from my Sun that is all that remains, a pair of GB Synchrons.
Hi I have a 1955 Sun champion du mond wasp. The colours are Olympic blue with white head tube. Hope this helps
Jeff

Daddybus -I just noticed amongst the images on the first post you put up on this thread, the strange 'grease nipple arrangement' under the bottom bracket - since I bought my own Sun, I have been very mystified by a large hole under the bottom bracket, and been wondering what sort of idiot had drilled 'a hole of that size,and in that place' - now I see that it was a 'cutting edge design feature' especially for the purpose of greasing the bottom bracket, without taking it apart !! - We live and learn ....... !

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
A bout of illness & lack of motivation has put this & the other projects on ice for a while ....but feeling much better now & with a house move (with workshop) in the offing... I'm hoping to brush the dust off the bike spanners
IMG_20160826_205303.jpg
again soon. This is where ' the sun ' is currently residing , dismantled on top of a wardrobe with some other spares in the 'spare' room... seemed appropriate lol!!

Jeffhop21

A bout of illness & lack of motivation has put this & the other projects on ice for a while ....but feeling much better now & with a house move (with workshop) in the offing... I'm hoping to brush the dust off the bike spanners View attachment 141395 again soon. This is where ' the sun ' is currently residing , dismantled on top of a wardrobe with some other spares in the 'spare' room... seemed appropriate lol!!
You must get it back on the road. I just need a toggle chain for the Benelux derailleur to complete mine

1rider

Just spotted your post. I had a a 1961 sun wasp maillot jaune. I was sixteen and I was so keen I memorised the advert for the bike. It went like this. The brakes were GB courier 66 override rapide center pull. The frame was reynolds 531 tubing. The gears were campagnolo. The pump was fitted under the cross bar and the lower portion of the forks were chromed. I probably have a photo of it however it will be in black and white. I hope this info helps

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just spotted your post. I had a a 1961 sun wasp maillot jaune. I was sixteen and I was so keen I memorised the advert for the bike. It went like this. The brakes were GB courier 66 override rapide center pull. The frame was reynolds 531 tubing. The gears were campagnolo. The pump was fitted under the cross bar and the lower portion of the forks were chromed. I probably have a photo of it however it will be in black and white. I hope this info helps

The photo would be good to see, even in monochrome.

1rider

Here is a photo from 1961. We rode from Birmingham to Devon staying in YHA hostels. Good fun for sixteen year olds. The chap in the photo was my friend Alan . My Sun Wasp is on the right of the picture.

Attachments

• img628.jpg
    img628.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom