Sun wasp maillot jaune

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any pics?
I was going to say sorry, but there must be a couple of slides that my brother had of it. Where is another question.
I am just trying to think, I don't think it is on my slides from the trip to Scotland, it was a School/ Young Farmers trip staying in Youth Hostels with cycling in between.
My Sun was over all blue with only the seat tube and steering tube decorated where as your Sun seems to have a splash of one colour here and another colour there. It must have looked a bit like a Macaw.
I will do a bit more searching. I have still got the brakes from my Sun that is all that remains, a pair of GB Synchrons.

I had a look on the Carlton site. The picture of the Carlton Jewel shows similar banding on the seat tube as my Sun but the colours were different. The picture of the Carlton Catalina seems to suggest that your Sun might have looked similar but with chrome and blue banding.
It must have been an expensive bike with the colour changes and all the masking involved.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Found some pics of an unknown bike on an old retrobike thread I'm sure this is the same as mine & the serial number is j1996 mine is j1982! & although the bits on it are all wrong it still has 'some' of the original paint
21e69og.jpg
xgihk.jpg
f4fd48.jpg

Those look like the blues that were on my Sun Mist and the banding looks the same as well. So would yours have the rest of the frame red but with 6x 1 inch chrome bands on the crossbar and down tube, and blue where the head badge goes.
It would have looked quite stunning.

No chrome at all, well apart from the usual stuff, wheels , bars, chainring. It even had the horrible Raleigh smartie tube front forks. Simplex Prestige gears, the lever kept on breaking, I lent to a friend to do his paper round and he broke the rear derailleur. My Dad repaired it by making a new parallelogram out of ally bar. I think that the Sun Mist was quite popular around here in the mid 60's but I think they were a lime green /yellow flamboyant colour.
The Falcon Black Diamond of the mid 60's had quite a bit of chrome on it.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Well used then ...! Things get thrown away gar too quickly nowadays no one knows how to fix anything anymore ..... Dad's could always knock something together in those days I remember my dad reparing a zodiac exhaust with a baked bean can!

No the bike was new at Christmas. It did a tour around Scotland without a problem, I don't know how he broke it, we weren't friends after that.

midlife

Guru
I had a look on the Carlton site. The picture of the Carlton Jewel shows similar banding on the seat tube as my Sun but the colours were different. The picture of the Carlton Catalina seems to suggest that your Sun might have looked similar but with chrome and blue banding.
It must have been an expensive bike with the colour changes and all the masking involved.

Just curious, which Carlton site is that?

Shaun

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
IMG_20160702_125323.jpg
Just bought this advert off fleabay ...from 1961 (same year as my bike apperntly) although its just a drawing it shows the pump on the top tube & side pull brakes ...mine has pump peg on seat tube & centre pulls with bridge <rolleyes> !! But it looks like the chainset should be a c1200 (tick) & saddle should be a swallow (tick) also it looks like there were double chrome bands on downtube but not on the top tube... I realise this is extremely dull for anyone else... but I love a bit of detective work me lol

Top Bottom