Sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Trying to buy sunglasses online is tough! Keen to see if anyone has either of these or can recommend a good pair. Ideally less than £100.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...u96F_aXFJSz3Bh4kjzoaAoT6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/BBB/BSG-58PH-Impress-Sunglasses-with-Photochromic-Lens/IQUD

Currently have a relatively cheap pair from Decathlon with changeable lenses but thinking that photochromic would be a good bet. I am a fair-weather cyclist so mostly out in nice sunshine but do go out when cloudy too.

I use Decathlon ones, and tinted safety glasses from the DIY places. To me, dedicated cycling/sport glasses seem a waste of money, but folk are free to spend as they wish. A few years back I did try out a photochromic pair, and they were really hopeless, certainly no better than the other cheapies I've used. The rubber nose and ear parts turned to a sticky mush in no time - seems they were not sweat proof.
Do 100 quid ones fair any better - I would hope so, but happy stay at the budget end myself.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another vote for Frank.

Too often stamping 'cycling' on dark glasses is merely an excuse to charge more.

As @Blue Hills says, glasses used for cycling tend to have a fairly hard life one way or another, so it seems a waste to treat a £100+ pair in that way.

Not that I know much about photochromic which the OP wants, but I'd be inclined to see if there's better value available from a general supplier.

On photochromic, I have a pair bought on offer (when offers existed) but they aren't a must.
And I don't think mine ever go as clear as properly clear. So problematical I think if I end out being out and about after sunset.
Lenses can just be swapped.
In practice I often just swap the glasses over - particularly if using some of my cheaper glasses where the swap may be fiddly or the frames might not stand up to much lens wrangling. No great problem unless a racing minimalist.
I would also look at decathlon* as has been mentioned upthread - their stuff is very often very well designed and made - and good value.
And you can even, horror of horrors, wander out of the cycling bit to the other bits - have used stuff for cycling from their hiking, camping, boating, travel and hunting sections.
* sexual favours from french people available as a bolt-on extra.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I admit to spending more than necessary on a pair of glasses.... :whistle:
Since the late 80s when all the audacious designs started to come in I did think they looked extremely cool, and I promised myself that one day, (when I could afford it) I'd have a pair of Rudy Project. So being at least solvent these days I did save my pocket money and treated myself to a pair of Tralyx a few years ago. I have to say, on bright days they're fabulous, crystal clear vision and no eye strain, I love wearing them and they've held up fine in terms of scratches. I got them for 90 odd so not anywhere near the full RRP.

When it gets darker I switch to 8 quid Bolle safety glasses from tool station which are perfectly good, so I'm probably not quite the full shilling. Still, I really enjoy the Tralyx ones on the good days and that's the main thing.

By the by, I must admit that even when not well off at all, but just starting to earn some dosh I years and years ago spent over £200 on some prescription oakleys - may even be photochromo - can't remember - my least favourite glasses ever - wouldn't sit still.
And I swear, on a ride once, on taking them off to do an adjustment, some woman said, with no irony,
"but blue hills, you're good looking without the glasses" - she'd only ever seen me on rides with the oakleys out front.
Just think how many opportunities those oakleys may have lost me in all those intervening years :sad:

Heard it's been piss.........sistantly raining there of late
1622019538239.png

I was doing some twi light riding earlier this year but didn't want to break the bank as I mainly ride in the daylight with my Oakleys. The Oakleys with Prizm lenses would have done but they weren't to hand (350miles a way during lockdown and it wasn't an eye test). So I settled on these for the money I was quite happy.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROCKBROS-Photochromic-Anti-blue-Sunglasses-Computer/dp/B075R7HNG4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3KWVOSMJO0NYD&dchild=1&keywords=rockbros+photochromic+glasses&qid=1622063371&sprefix=Rock+Bros+photo%2Cclothing%2C183&sr=8-5

JuhaL

Guru
I have plans to buy new sunglasses as well. My thoughts are now to focused to Oakley's with photochromatic lens. It's just a thought that if i can replaced 2 spare lenses with one lens. Here in Finland i have need to use only Prizm Tungsten and Prizm Black lenses with my older Oakley. I don't need these if photochromatic lenses work like the 2 lenses or even close.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Screwfix either plain or tinted safety glasses. I think the point of glasses is eye protection, a peaked cap gives shade.

I've watched videos explaining why some expensive brands justify the price. All made sense to me. I wouldn't trust cheap glasses but can't afford and would lose expensive ones.

Hence my choice of safety glasses.

I wouldn't trust cheap glasses but can't afford and would lose expensive ones.

Hence my choice of safety glasses.
somewhat puzzled by the can't afford in view of what you ride and your use of a bike-shop for fettling paul.
But as above I think cheap is OK on the lens front - there are standards - keep a look out for Lidl and Aldi cycling glasses - sometimes not an idea to change lenses too often though - just carry two pairs.
By the by, for the sight-ailing amongst us who need reading glasses for roadside bike fettling, picked up a really neat pair of foldable reading glasses in my Lidl the other day - in a neat zip hard case - just the thing for the backpocket of a roadie.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
+1 for screwfix -- Pop in there and grab yourself some bolle safety glasses.

Prices are £8-14 and there are different styles and tints/shades. Although they are nothing fancy, they are cheap and meet all the industrial safety standards when it comes to eye protection.

I have worn a SILIUM+ pair for what must be two or three years now, Its a little scratched and scuffed in a few places but they arent too deep to really annoy me. In any case I paid £10-12 for it back then. Cheap to replace if it gets misplaced or destroyed.

Top Bottom