Sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
somewhat puzzled by the can't afford in view of what you ride and your use of a bike-shop for fettling paul.
But as above I think cheap is OK on the lens front - there are standards - keep a look out for Lidl and Aldi cycling glasses - sometimes not an idea to change lenses too often though - just carry two pairs.
By the by, for the sight-ailing amongst us who need reading glasses for roadside bike fettling, picked up a really neat pair of foldable reading glasses in my Lidl the other day - in a neat zip hard case - just the thing for the backpocket of a roadie.
Very different thing though. My current summer bike is five years old and probably good for another five. My winter/gravel bike will outlast me. Part of the reason my bikes last is because I'm happy to pay for maintenance I'm not capable of doing correctly.

Glasses though I can get through 2-3 pairs a year and can't afford to chuck +/- £300 away like that. Last expensive pair I bought, £100 reduced to £30, can be found on a wall overlooking Cartmel racecourse! 😃

Drago

Legendary Member
Randolph Engineering aviators. Start at about £100 and up.

Straight arms, so easy to put on an off without unfastening a helmet. The lenses have ballistic levels of protection (standard issue to US Marine pilots) so make light work of bits of grit and stuff.

But best of all, when you roll up at the beer garden of the Bashir and Bank Statement you'll look like you've rolled off the set of CHiPs, and girls will want to get to know you very much.

Roadrat77

Bought a pair of Kapveo photochromics off Amazon for about thirty quid - they remain virtually the same lens tint from one weather condition to the next. Really only useful in low-light conditions or for keeping the crud out of my peepers.

Two-Wheels

Glad I found this thread on page 1 as was about to ask about sunglasses.

Now I'm not going to pretend I know what these glasses jargon terms mean such as photowhateveritwas but I do know what my glasses problem is...

When I head out in a morning & i'm on country lanes, I feel like I'm in a bloody disco with the sunlight flashing me due to the hedges as I bike along. The sun shining through then being blocked, then shining through then being blocked (obviously at a frantic flash-flash-flash).

Of course, I always go out with glasses irrespective of the sun, just to stop the bugs from getting in my eyes. I just have a cheap safety pair like these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-auger-smoke-lens-safety-specs/3641r

They do the job generally ok but they do nothing when the sun is at that bad angle & breaks through the hedges. If it's oncoming then I can see very little as it's blinding.

Is there anything in a pair of glasses I need to be looking for to stop this or is that just not possible other than don't go out when it's sunny?

Glad I found this thread on page 1 as was about to ask about sunglasses.

Now I'm not going to pretend I know what these glasses jargon terms mean such as photowhateveritwas but I do know what my glasses problem is...

When I head out in a morning & i'm on country lanes, I feel like I'm in a bloody disco with the sunlight flashing me due to the hedges as I bike along. The sun shining through then being blocked, then shining through then being blocked (obviously at a frantic flash-flash-flash).

Of course, I always go out with glasses irrespective of the sun, just to stop the bugs from getting in my eyes. I just have a cheap safety pair like these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-auger-smoke-lens-safety-specs/3641r

They do the job generally ok but they do nothing when the sun is at that bad angle & breaks through the hedges. If it's oncoming then I can see very little as it's blinding.

Is there anything in a pair of glasses I need to be looking for to stop this or is that just not possible other than don't go out when it's sunny?

I don't think any glasses will solve it completely but some darker ones will take the sting out of the bright flashes.

You could try a cap too - the peak can be useful.

Top Bottom