Sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
g00se said:
If I'm wearing a helmet, I'll put them on inside the straps. Then, I always forget, take the helmet off and they fly across the road.

That makes no sense. The glasses would have to be outside the straps for taking the helmet off to make them fly off.

shunter

Outside - although inside when it is a motorcycle helmet :ohmy:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Inside!!!

who needs rules?!!:ohmy:, we are young bohemian city cyclists, we fly by the seat of our....er...seats....we answer to no-one (unless they ask nicely)

WOOF! (in my best captain flashheart voice)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Inside.

Feels more secure and doesn't squeeze straps to the side of the head, blocking blood flow and causing a pumping headache.

MajorMantra

Outside with the sporty shades I wear for road rides, because it looks pro innit. :ohmy: (More comfy too actually.)

Inside with the cheapy airport sunnies I use round town, because they'd fall off otherwise.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Outside

As I'm forever pulling off the rubber grip part at the end of the stems when wearing them on the inside (try running round like a demented idiot recovering one blowing about in high winds)

Really its personal choice, whatever suits you :ohmy:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Outside

Always put my helmet on first then the glasses over the top. Just have to remember to take them off before i take the helmet off.

Armegatron

Inside. Anything else feels wrong ;)

Zippy

When I was fitted with my first helmet the LBS person told me it had to be outside for safety reasons - he didn't explain what safety reasons.

I wear my driver-tinted glasses on the inside - and for safety reasons - that being if I was thrown off the bike I would need my glasses on my face to see the kerb!

nilling

Über Member
Inside

I seem to forget I'm wearing glasses, so when I take my helmet off and the arms on on the outside the glasses fly off ;)

I used to wear my prescription glasses on the inside as it felt more secure for them but I found the straps were causing damage so its always on the outside now. I've always worn sunglasses on the outside of the straps they just feel better (more comfortable) that way IMO.

dondare

Über Member
There is no conclusive evidence that wearing a helmet/sunglasses combination is effective in safeguarding you in the event of sunshine. There is also the possibility of "risk compensation" in that you are more likely to experience sunshine when wearing protection and may, in fact, neglect other, more effective preventative measures.
Furthermore, there is the risk of compulsion or at the very least, expectation that cyclists will wear such protection and will be held partially responsible for any harm that befalls them in the event that they chose not to, regardless of who was actually responsible.
Wear helmet/sunglasses if you must, but be mindful of the perils!

Top Bottom