Sunrise and Snowdrop Express: 18th Feb 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hit the jackpot.

We were enjoying our cake and coffee at Raphael's, and were about to leave when we noticed a group that had taken a short cut across the river, rather than taking the bridge.

A quick glance outside indicated that they might have actually used the road, but wouldn't have noticed the difference.

10 minutes later , downpour was downgraded to heavy drizzle, so we left. Later the sun came out and we finished on a high.

Was spotted by 172driver, and Philip Whiteman (no, it was someone else who got the time wrong and arrived late... :blush::secret: )

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Glad you enjoyed it.

Anyway, a provisional finishing list, subject to AUK approval is now published at:

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_board/viewtopic.php?t=4577

Nasty little hill was'nt it! I am sure that the old curmudgeons would not have approved and that the silly signs would have breached one the many ridiculous AUK rules.:hyper:

Cheers Phil, quality ride, value for money, great organisation.
Have done this before and if anyone else in the area reads this don't forget the summer audaxes or same time same place next year for the diary.
Did the ride with The Animal's little group (did txt you re. the ride) brilliant laugh even with the downpour, just added to the occasion.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Hit the jackpot.

We were enjoying our cake and coffee at Raphael's, and were about to leave when we noticed a group that had taken a short cut across the river, rather than taking the bridge.

A quick glance outside indicated that they might have actually used the road, but wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Was spotted by 172driver, and Philip Whiteman (no, it was someone else who got the time wrong and arrived late... :blush::secret: )

A short cut across the river? Was that by the ferry?

AlanW

Guru
Did you see the little joke halfway up that hill (pig hill). The sign stuck in the ground saying 'Nasty Little Hill' someone was having a good laugh.

We left the cafe at Evesham and it was raining, as we went over the bridge one of the lads punctured. As he was fixing it the heavens really opened up.

Funny thing the weather forecast was spot on, 9am - cloudy, 12pm - heavy rain, 3pm - sunny.
The sun came out for the last 20 miles and it was lovely when we got back to Hartlebury.

What hill.......:whistle:

Plus, while you daft sods were all stood out in the rain while he Nic was replacing his tube, I went down the road and stood inside that large fir tree. :rain:

AlanW

Guru

I didnt think that the ferry was running?

Plus, even it was they would have had a slight problem. When you cross the river it then takes you onto the service road that goes from the main road to a Severn Trent Water works. This is a one mile private road that belongs to Severn Trent Water and there are gates at the main road end which would have been locked. So unless you had a key ( :whistle: ) you would have to get the ferry back across again. The ferry is only of any benefit to the residents of that small caravan site, walkers and those people that want to empty there dogs without having to pick the dogs crap up afterwards.....

robgul

Legendary Member
I didnt think that the ferry was running?

Plus, even it was they would have had a slight problem. When you cross the river it then takes you onto the service road that goes from the main road to a Severn Trent Water works. This is a one mile private road that belongs to Severn Trent Water and there are gates at the main road end which would have been locked. So unless you had a key ( :whistle: ) you would have to get the ferry back across again. The ferry is only of any benefit to the residents of that small caravan site, walkers and those people that want to empty there dogs without having to pick the dogs crap up afterwards.....

The access seems to be available to all - there's a path beside the Severn Trent site road ... we've used it to get to the ferry from time to time on club rides .. nobody challenged us (and no locked gates?) - IIRC it's 50p for the crossing, no charge for bikes! Using the ferry would knock about 1.8 km off the overall distance on the Audax.

For other anoraks in this part of the world there is also an interesting river crossing at the Severn Trent site at Strensham ... involves walking across a lock-gate carrying the bike, but very doable - chops off a chunk of the distance from Evesham to Upton, bypassing the main road through Perhsore.

Rob

Beaker39

Excellent ride on Saturday. Did the Sunrise this year instead but seemed harder (or possibly my fitness isn't as good as it was!). It was well worth getting up at 5am to travel down for but the only thing I didn't like was the "doorstop" bread at the end. It was verry difficult to swallow!!!

Anyhow, thanks Mr Organiser it was great ^_^

AlanW

Guru
The access seems to be available to all - there's a path beside the Severn Trent site road ... we've used it to get to the ferry from time to time on club rides .. nobody challenged us (and no locked gates?)

I actually work for Severn Trent and I was based at the Evesham site for about six months until I managed to escape a couple of years ago. The road is actually classed as a private road as it belongs to STW. Although as well as STW employees, I understand that the owners of the caravans also have keys to the gates. The problem is that the locals seem to think that they have right of way to use that road, and despite many efforts by STW to secure the road with fencing, it just gets getting ripped down every time. Plus what makes matters worse, the caravan owners don't always lock the gates either going in or out!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
When I have walked along the river bank, from the direction of the "new" bridge, towards Raphael's cafe, I am sure I have seen the ferry in operation. Possibly only "on demand" ie when the owner choses to do so. For readers outside Worcestershire, the "Ferry" is a small rowing boat on a chain.

The "new" bridge to which I refer, has been called that since it was built oh in about 1955. There are plans for the "new" bridge to be replaced.

Top Bottom