suntour cantilevers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazingsaddles

I'm just giving my Thorn Sherpa a once over. Must say I'm well pleased with it so far. Carries heavy loads with ease. A great recommendation from some thread members, thanks.

Looking at front the suntour cantilevers I can see one side has a hex nut but the other doesn't. Hopefully you'll see the photo in my attachment. Is this of any consiquence? They've been stopping me OK so far although have been squeeling a bit.

Regards,
BS

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Looking at this pic from sjscycles it looks like that is the correct set up

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-Suntour-XC-Pro-cantilevers--per-pair-75.htm

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

Thanks Rich,

Looks about right then. Couldn't check with Thorn till Monday.

I must say the Sherpa is so good with luggage. Last Saturday I carried 25 kilos in the rear panniers with nothing on the front and it was as easy as cycling without. Perhaps actually slightly better.

I'm off for a ride on the wild side!

bs

jags

Guru
bs, it's a class bike the sherpa, i love mine no problem carrying big loads.if you let the brake blocks ride the rim for a while the squeel will ease up,let some rubber build up on the rims.best of luck with the new bike hope you get some nice tours in.
jags

Fantastic fantastic brakes. I used them for years. The 'hex' you are referring to is the spring tension adjuster, designed to be used with a 16mm (if I remember correctly) cone spanner. It allows you to balance the brakes by setting the adjustable side to match the other.

The squealing is another matter and is caused by the angle of the brakes relative to the rim. I suspect that your brakes blocks have worn down until they are parallel to the rim. When first installed they would have had a couple of degrees of 'toe-in'.

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

Thanks Jags,

It was partly reading about your recommendation of it and John28jul that tipped the balance between getting it, a Club Tour or a Surly LHT. Mines a 610s frame with drops, and I'm on Sun Rhynos with xt hubs to cope with 16 1/2 stone plus luggage.

I'm hopefully doing my first tour in Spain next year.

Funnily enough I saw another one on the Wirral a couple of weeks ago. So there's another Sherpa around here too.

Regards,
bs

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

mickle said:
Fantastic fantastic brakes. I used them for years. The 'hex' you are referring to is the spring tension adjuster, designed to be used with a 16mm (if I remember correctly) cone spanner. It allows you to balance the brakes by setting the adjustable side to match the other.

The squealing is another matter and is caused by the angle of the brakes relative to the rim. I suspect that your brakes blocks have worn down until they are parallel to the rim. When first installed they would have had a couple of degrees of 'toe-in'.

Thanks Mickle,

I think they're good too and I like the self energizing rear brake. I'm off to wear in some more!

The SE brake really comes in to it's own when fully laden, otherwise they can be a bit 'grabby'. Their USP is that they use the rotational force of the rear wheel to boost the braking power. When you apply the brake the blocks move inwards towards the rim and forwards in a spiral motion. As the blocks hit the rim the cantilevers are dragged forwards and push harder onto the rim. The down side to this feature is that they are almost impossible to modulate. They are off or they are on, there's little middle ground. Prone to locking up too. Get a full touring load or a couple of bags full of shoppping (or bricks) on though and they excel.

You'll find you develop a method of braking which involves applying the brake until it contacts the rim and then letting off a little to let the brake do the job. You can really throw your weight back on the rear wheel under braking too. It's a proper anchor.

They used to make a front SE too but soon dropped it for obvious reasons.

jags

Guru
bs ,my son bought me the paul's canti brake when he was in america,i think there quite expensive but worth every penny or dollar ,john28 has lots more photos on his site well worth a look.i also have the same wheels ,i changed the tyres only 2 weeks ago .i went for conti city contacts 1.5 great tyres great grip in the rain main reason i changed from marathon plus.i was in spain in 2006 the camino route fantastic trip.

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

Yes, I've been on John28jul site. Some great shots of the Sherpa there. I'm on Panaracer Pasela Tourguard folding. They seem to offer really good grip on the roads this time of year, although perhaps in dry conditions a tyre with less drag would be preferable.
I'll have a nose at Pauls Canti brakes although I'm happy enough with the Suntours. Especially the SE rear. It digs in nicely and Ive not skidded yet even when pulling hard down hill in the wet.
I've got family in La Rioja, Spain so I'll be touring from there, which is close to the Camino I think. I may look at that as the Sherpas a good choice for it. Also there's loads of tracks all throughout the region.
Ride on the wild side turned into a 20 kilo load from the supermarket. It beats driving to the gym and going on the cycling machine! :biggrin:

Regards,
bs

jags

Guru
im sure your brakes are just fine bs,yes you should have a go at even some of the camino route especally as you have family over that part of the country ,one day i shall return.well enjoy that bike and your tour roll on the summer.
cheer's
jags.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I got some Sun Tour SE rear cantis from SJS. Baffled by the lack of a spring to get them to come back off the rim. Any ideas - before I go back to the old Deore LX (from the days when Deore was a touring groupset and MTB hadnt been invented ;))

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

Not sure myself, I'm new to the cycling game, but I think the return mechanism is within the cantilevers. I havn't had to even alter mine as yet!

porkypete said:
I got some Sun Tour SE rear cantis from SJS. Baffled by the lack of a spring to get them to come back off the rim. Any ideas - before I go back to the old Deore LX (from the days when Deore was a touring groupset and MTB hadnt been invented :o)

Nope, Deore was a mountain bike groupset from day one.

If in doubt read the manufacturers instructions.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Taken me a couple of days to find the instructions (attached)
Nothing in there about a return spring, and, call me stupid, but I cannot see anything built in to the cantilever itself to bring the blocks back off the rim.

Top Bottom