Suntour forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
Ive these forks on my spesh rockhopper ive used them in anger twice at a trail centre, the lockout works fone but when they arent locked they see, to drop down to the bottom when i get on the bike no matter how much i adjust the dial (dont know the techincal term) they are spring forks as far as i know but when i push the, down i get a whoosh noise of air escaping, i seem to remember them being really smooth and plush when i first got them, are they buggered?

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
which model fork? I'm guess higher spec than my XCT V2's as mine wouldn't whoosh if you threw them off the Tyne Bridge in anger

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Whatever this means! SR Suntour SF13-XCM-LO 29", hydraulic damping w/ lockout, coil/MCU spring, 1-1/8" steel steerer, alloy disc only post mount lower, 30mm Hi-Ten stanchion, preload adj., 80mm or 100mm travel

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Is there such thing as a cheap reliable 29er fork that dosent need much maintaining, thing is i mainly ue my mtb for knocking around on in bad weather instead of the road bike but i also rarely take it to a trail centre and do the black routes so it needs to do both

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Ive no idea with forks so could someone list ke a few different forks in ascending order (how good they are) and ill keep a lookout for a bargain! :smile:

HovR

Über Member
Yes, they're buggered :smile:

Rockshox XC32 air fork. Do it.

I think the Suntour Epicons are also worth considering for a cheap but half decent fork, I've never ridden the XC32's so can't speak for the performance, but the Epicons are a fair bit lighter for a similar price (quoted 1650g compared to 2350g for the XC32's in 26").

lpretro1

The wooshing noise is from the damper unit as the hydraulic fluid squeezes through it. If the fork is compressing really badly like taht then as it is a coil fork may be that the spring in the fork is insufficient for your weight - springs have different ratings but as often as not come supplied with the middle rating - if you are a big lad then you may be need a spring with a stiffer rating to compensate. But as previous posters have said those forks are not very good and prob not worth cost of getting a new spring better to fit a set of cheaper RS.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fit some lightweight carbon forks from eXotic and you will hardly miss the suspension anyway as they ride so smooth. Cheap too.

Top Bottom