Suntour Gears and New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevberlin

I am going to view a FW Evans bike with 531frame. I note it has Suntour tube shifters and is described as 12 speed (2 chain rings). The bike appears superb and unmolested but I have no experience/knowledge of Suntour. Are parts available or should I steer clear. Thanks.

GuyBoden

Guru
I am going to view a FW Evans bike with 531frame. I note it has Suntour tube shifters and is described as 12 speed (2 chain rings). The bike appears superb and unmolested but I have no experience/knowledge of Suntour. Are parts available or should I steer clear. Thanks.

Suntour were the best, long before Shimano took over, they invented the slant parallelogram Rear Derailleur.

"Nobuo Ozaki, the head of product development at Maeda, invented the slant parallelogram rear derailleur in 1964"

"Suntour had a patent on the Slant Parallelogram (1964-1984)."

Suntour Superbe and Suntour Superbe Pro were the best components available at the time.

OP
OP
K

Kevberlin

Thanks for the info. Appreciated it.
Anyway, I went off and bought the bike. Going to do some research later, but I’m inclined to date it circa 1981/2 ish. All original. Needs a good clean, some new bar tape, rear derailleur adjustment and a Brooks saddle which is already in my garage.

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpeg
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom