Suntour remote lock out fitting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
I have bought a Suntour remote lockout switch from eBay, it's just the switch with the cable and my current bike (Trek Excalibre 8) has lockout forks but no remote.
Anyhow, obviously fitting to the handlebar end is easy enough, but where does the cable go on the fork top to make it work? I've taken the lever off the top of the forks but can't see anything obvious to attach cable to.
Am I, as I now suspect, missing some parts that I need to make it fit, and if so what do I need, please?
Thanks in advance, apologies if it's a daft question!

The cable cannot be retrofitted to a manual (no-remote) lockout fork without lots more parts. The gadget in there comprises a moving linear gear with the cable attached to the one end. The teeth on the linear slider engage with a rotary gear that turns the valve. You need the entire compression damper assembly to complete the package. Sell it on, remote lockout isn't all it is cracked up to be, especially not with cable. The only one that really works well is the Rock Shox hydraulic one.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
The cable cannot be retrofitted to a manual (no-remote) lockout fork without lots more parts. The gadget in there comprises a moving linear gear with the cable attached to the one end. The teeth on the linear slider engage with a rotary gear that turns the valve. You need the entire compression damper assembly to complete the package. Sell it on, remove lockout isn't all it is cracked up to be, especially not with cable. The only one that really works well is the Rock Shox hydraulic one.
This^^

I won't buy a fork with a remote lockout. The one I did have I retrofitted a fork-mounted manual knob. It takes no time at all to reach over and lock or unlock it, or even adjust the damping, compared with hour after hour spent changing cables, outer, greasing, degreasing, all to find the bloody thing doesn't work when you need it to.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Many thanks, much appreciated. I got it because I liked the remote lock out on my 4500, I found bombing round over various surfaces it was quite handy. I shall keep it with all the other useless eBay items I've purchased over the years! Thanks once again.

Top Bottom