Suntour 'Super POWER Flow' triple - replace the rings or complete chainset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
As per the title, given that the largest 44t chainring is 20-odd quid alone, would you just replace the whole horror show for an extra £20 or so? The bike's 7 years old and showing a bit of damage on a few teeth, it's an 8 speed Altus on the rear so I'm thinking replace it with a new BB and an Altus chainset in preference (mainly to appease my OCD).

Good practice or make do & mend?

TIA

I'd go with your OCD :smile:
However, if you're noticing that there are several, regularly spaced teeth that look shorter than the rest, they're supposed to, IIRC, part of the HG shifting design.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
I'll have a closer look tonight, at least one tooth appears to be damaged but if I get time I'll strip it & clean it so I can see it properly. I've changed the chain & cassette as the gear changes were becoming hit & miss around the centre of the cassette, so I thought it may be worth doing the lot... trouble is once you factor in a new BB & chainset it starts to become a bit more expensive than you'd initially accounted for...

si_c

Guru
I'll have a closer look tonight, at least one tooth appears to be damaged but if I get time I'll strip it & clean it so I can see it properly. I've changed the chain & cassette as the gear changes were becoming hit & miss around the centre of the cassette, so I thought it may be worth doing the lot... trouble is once you factor in a new BB & chainset it starts to become a bit more expensive than you'd initially accounted for...
If you've changed the cassette and chain, then unless the chain is slipping when putting a lot of torque through the cranks then I'd leave it - it's not damaged or worn - the profiles on the teeth can often look like they are damaged when actually it's just the shaping to facilitate shifting.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
If you've changed the cassette and chain, then unless the chain is slipping when putting a lot of torque through the cranks then I'd leave it - it's not damaged or worn - the profiles on the teeth can often look like they are damaged when actually it's just the shaping to facilitate shifting.

Certainly seemed more positive on the stand changing gear but it's hard to know until you've test ridden it... may take it for a thrash and see how it performs before doing anything further.

Top Bottom