Suntour superb wheel guides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
As title, they guide the wheel in place and stop it getting stuck on the brake blocks..

Designed for people like me who followed the bunch sat on a car window ready to change a punctured wheel in the shortest time possible lol.

OP
OP
C

carpenter

Über Member
Cheers. So they are just to make wheel changes faster? I take it that means they have no purpose outside of racing/time trials?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Cheers. So they are just to make wheel changes faster? I take it that means they have no purpose outside of racing/time trials?
Anything that makes fitting a wheel faster or easier is worth having, racing or not. From memory I believe Campag introduced them about 50 years ago on a set of calipers that at the time were a jaw dropping £25, around a weeks wages for many people.

midlife

Guru
Anything that makes fitting a wheel faster or easier is worth having, racing or not. From memory I believe Campag introduced them about 50 years ago on a set of calipers that at the time were a jaw dropping £25, around a weeks wages for many people.

Your memory is not wrong. Campag brakes were stratospherically expensive. I remember dusting off a set of Campag brakes in the bike shop where I worked circa 1976-77 and pricing them at £49. I wonder what that is now?

RichardB

Slightly retro
Not just the speed of changing the wheel. With old-style separate shoes and blocks, there was a real risk that a clumsy fitting of the wheel into the forks could hit and dislodge the brake block from the shoe. I've done that a few times myself. That would have meant extra seconds putting it back before the wheel could be reinstalled. The little guides made sure that the wheel went centrally between the shoes. I always thought that they were some extra weight for not very much benefit, but if Campag used them ... well, fine by me.

Top Bottom