Super C or Back Rollers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I like the fact that Super Cs are British, hand-made and look great.

I like the Back Roller's reputation for waterproof-ness.

I'm a bit of a tart when it comes to appearance and would like the matching Super-C saddlepack, and maybe the front panniers and bar bag eventually, can't find an equivalent from Ortlieb.

Anybody have experience of either or both ?

Would be used for daily commute with laptop and touring.

cheers all

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
got the Ortlieb Backroller Classics in the bright yellow, only been used for commuting. Is my first pannier so no comparative data but nearly a year down no problems and no leakage. Mainly use only one these days as take change of clothes daily. One comfortably accomodates, laptop(full size), change of cycling kit for return leg, shirt, pants, socks, towel and lunch. Have done a couple of hefty shops with the pair and managed no problem. My only criticism would be the shoulder strap, wouldn't want to carry any weight very far with it.

snorri

Legendary Member
upsidedown said:
I'm a bit of a tart when it comes to appearance
You won't be wanting the Super Cs then.xx(
After a few months of weathering the colour fades and they really look quite tatty. When someone looked at my panniers and said "of course you dont need new gear for touring" it confirmed my view that it was time to get rid of them. They are virtually indestructible, which really means the material has little flexibility, but where it bends you get creases which leak.
I went for the carradura style after that and use them for a few months of touring then relegate them to utility cycling until the bottom wears through.
The Carradura being more flexible (but not so hard wearing) means they are more user friendly, I believe. Sometimes I don't bother to close the lids and that is handy for easy access at times.
I have considered the roll top Ortliebs, but one down side is the lack of pockets on the outside. It does not matter for touring, but the roll top does seem to be more of a kerfuffle to open and close if you are going to be doing it frequently as I would when utility cycling.
(Someone will be along to say the SuperCs can be reproofed and colour dyed again;))

longers

Legendary Member
I'm in a similar position after being left with one rear pannier after someone helped themself to the other one and got a free bike earlier in the year.

I reckon I could toss a coin and be happy with either choice. Maybe I should as I can't decide either way xx(

I'm pretty sure the Super C's can be re proofed, and with regards to tattiness I did read that there is at least one person out there who hangs their Carradice gear on the washing line for a few months for it to get weathered and avoid the "brand new" look.

I've got Super C front ones which do a sterling job on the back when needed but are a bit small - the pockets are very useful.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
super c's don't need reproofing as the cotton is waxed prior to manufacture. 100% waterproof. maybe you had some duff ones, which i am sure carradice would have replaced. fyi, if you can get to carradice in the new year, then you may be lucky and find some on the 'seconds' (which has loads of old stock and slightly marked products on) shelf and save loads of money. i recently got a 2008 front city bag (brommie specific), matching saddle roll and a cape (nothing wrong, that i can see) for 45% of the retail price. i have been using the bags in the rains and nothing has leaked yet. i had carradice when i was younger for years and nothing leaked.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have Back Roller Classics, and I really can't fault them. The styling is a bit retro, ( think Panzer WW2, maybe?) but I think that they are wonderful. The clip mounting system works well. Maybe I got lucky with the rack that I use, an alloy Tortec Expedition . Others have said that the clip inserts work loose, but it has not happened yet to me. Maybe that is because the clip fit is really close to the diameter of the rack bars, in my case.

Yes, they are waterproof.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Thanks for the replies all, just ordered some Super Cs from Bike +, with matching saddlepack, should look just the job on my Allegro beige LHT !

soltour

I have got the super c ...have done a couple of long tours with them..mainly Morocco and Holland, Germany and Denmark. To be honest I have had to sew mesh on the tops of the rears and also pockets which were magazine pouches from the army and navy stores, (but dyed black.) to increase room. I also noticed that inside, the actual sewing isnt very good..quite tacky really as it seems to be unravelling along the edges. I should think it will only unravel to the sewn line but just incase I have sprayed adhesive along the edges. Apart from that I now have panniers more or less custom made and I like the breathability of them..and the natural fibres....and oh yes they are easy to redye if I like...but then again I like the well travelled look

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Received the Super Cs today from Bike Plus, great service as usual.
First impressions are very good, feel like a quality pice of kit, will update afetr a few commutes in the new year.

Top Bottom