Super C or Camper Longflap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I thought I'd treat myself to a new saddlebag with the spending money I have left over from my holidays.

I already have a Barley which I love to bits. Thought I'd treat myself to a bigger version. Can't decide between the Super C or the Camper Longflap though.

Any pro's / con's to either? Does one need more clearance than the other?
I have the SQR quick release if that makes any difference.

I'll probably use it predominantly for commuting (I can wedge everything in the Barley but it's a bit tight and I can't carry any parcels or books at the same time and usually end up with squished sarnies and bruised apples/bananas).

Ta very muchly

I have the Carradura: the nylon version of the Super C. I use this on an SQR fitting and it can go a bit droopy if not filled, especially when the pockets are filled (tools etc). I use mine for credit card touring so it is usually full and so not a problen, others have suggested a piece of corrigated plastic to bend round inside to give it some rigidity

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The Camper is marginally bigger.
The Super C is a little taller, whilst the Camper is a bit bigger front to back.
You can stuff quite a lot under the lid of a Camper (eg a tent), whilst the Super-C has a shaped lid that restricts the amount stuffable. However the shaping of the lid means that the Super C will be a bit more weatherproof (a strong crosswind could theoretically blow rain under a Camper lid from the side.
The Super C has nylon webbing and fastex fasteners, the Camper has traditional leather straps and buckles.

I prefer the Camper, for the under flap storage, and because I can undo and fasten the buckles with one hand whilst riding. I find I need 2 hands to do up fastex.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
John the Monkey said:
I'd agree with Andrew - the Longflap makes the bag a lot more versatile....

Seconded, when I ran the CTC mail order shop (which became BikePlus after the franchise went to Evans and then Wiggle) the Camper was only just behind the Nelson LF in popularirty, I would imagine that in respect of the larger bags (so not including the Barley range) it still is.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Thanks for the replies. I've actually ordered the Super C as a couple on the tour I went on had them. I'm kind of regretting it as I much prefer the look of the Camper, but we shall see how I get on.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Plax said:
Thanks for the replies. I've actually ordered the Super C as a couple on the tour I went on had them. I'm kind of regretting it as I much prefer the look of the Camper, but we shall see how I get on.

If you do decide to change, 2nd hand prices are normally pretty keen, I doubt you'd lose much. Or you could keep both, which is what I tend to end up doing!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Super C arrived today. I wasn't home but the City Link fella remembered where I work so dropped it off there.

I quite like it, the quick release buckles will probably be a little bit more practical than the traditional buckles for fumbling about on cold rainy dark mornings. Quite like the internal pocket as well. Fits ok on the back of the bike so I'm going to test it out on tomorrows commute. Prefer the look of the Camper but this will be fine and I always have my Barley if I want to go more "traditional".

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
While were're on the subject of Carradice, I've often thought about getting some straps so I can strap things to the top using the D rings.
Does anywhere sell these?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use traditional leather toestraps.

If you want longer there are normally striped webbing straps in you local outdoor shop - millets or whoever. Coghlans is a brand i remember. The trouble with longer is flapping ends when not holding much

martynrg

Plax, I'm going on a mini-tour in July (4 days) and I have been looking at large saddle bags i can use, instead of using a big rucksack.

I have looked at the Carradice Super C as it seems ideal for my needs. As you seem to be a fan of Carradice - do you know where I can get Carradice bags and SQR holders at the best price?

The tour i'm taking part in is a charity ride, and therefore a one off - so even though I believe they are worth their value, i'm finding it hard to spend £80+ on the bag and holder.

Cheers :ohmy:

edit: I've just noticed this which will be perfect for me which I can just strech to.

Eddigrae

Longer straps

Hi Plax,

You can purchase longer straps from Carradice - straight from their website. I have just bought a Barley bag which I am delighted with, so a few longer straps for the D rings is next on my list.

Eddigrae.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
martynrg said:
Plax, I'm going on a mini-tour in July (4 days) and I have been looking at large saddle bags i can use, instead of using a big rucksack.

I have looked at the Carradice Super C as it seems ideal for my needs. As you seem to be a fan of Carradice - do you know where I can get Carradice bags and SQR holders at the best price?

The tour i'm taking part in is a charity ride, and therefore a one off - so even though I believe they are worth their value, i'm finding it hard to spend £80+ on the bag and holder.

Cheers xx(

edit: I've just noticed this which will be perfect for me which I can just strech to.

I've not personally used that bag or seen it in the flesh, but it looks very good. Wiggle don't give much detail but a google of the Carradice website brings up this;
http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/type/sqrtour
Which gives the capacity as 16 litres. So not their largest bag but if you pack carefully will be fine for 4 days I'd have thought.

Wiggle currently have 15% sale until the 8th March, so they's be one of the cheapest around at the moment. As a little tip for you - if you sign up for their newsletter they will give you a e-voucher for £5 off if you spend over £50. If you are already receiving their newsletter, unsubscribe and then subscibe again and you'll get the voucher.

martynrg said:

Cheers ;)

Bikeplus are usually good on price but I think they are low on stock at the moment

Top Bottom