1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superstitions

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by longers, 10 Aug 2007.

1. longers

longers Veteran

As the football season is about to start and I won't wear my teams shirt if they're playing and I'm not there (very bad luck) I started thinking about superstitions.

Only a couple I can think of for me:-

I won't cross anyone on the stairs.
    There's a bridge near Langwathby that I always have to close my eyes when going under (very bad luck also).If I'm driving it's a big blink really, but it must be done.

You got any?

2. chris42

chris42 New Member

i always say 'morning to EVERY magpie I see when I'm riding.

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Everytime I open page 3 of the Sun I mast...;)

No, I haven't got any.

4. barq

barq Senior Member

There is a church at the top of a hill at the turn point on one of my training rides. Ever since I read that circling a church widdershins (anti-clockwise) was bad luck, I've had to go around it clockwise - even though this forces me to take a really awkward line.

In my defence: It's a very old place in the middle of nowhere (and incredibly spooky on a night ride).

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Never walk under a black cat. ;)

6. Sabreur

Sabreur New Member

I have to salute every Solitary Magpie spotted when out, irrespective of what I'm doing

7. starseven

starseven Guest

The magpie thing is my only superstition. I always give them a salute and a "morning mr magpie" ...... ignorant cretins never reply though.

8. Pete

Pete Guest

I've heard that there's a 'Fairy Bridge' somewhere in the Isle of Man...
    1) Can someone confirm?
    2) Is it safe to cycle across? ;)

9. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Walking under ladders is one that I look out for. Remove the back bone of a fish and not turn it over to get to the flesh underneath is another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Yes there is, it's south of Douglas if I remember correctly on the road to castletown. it's ok to cycle over it, or drive, as long as you remember to say hello !
    It's not the p*n*t**e fairy though so no guns

11. gpx001

gpx001 Senior Member

I do the magpie thing. I also try not to cross on the stairs and I won't walk under ladders, but apart from that I'm fine ;-)

12. gpx001

gpx001 Senior Member

Eeek, just remembered another one, got to post this message to get my number of posts past 13!

13. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

My changed emphasis

That's because they are females who have you "listed" as a misogynist who will be dealt with in due course!

Must admit that with my Scottish background - Magpies are treated with respect, however doffing one's helmet is a bit too much

Edited
    (and no.........................."Doffing one's helmet" is not a euphemism for anything rude!)

14. i say hello to most corvids i pass, just to be polite.

i can't think of any superstitions, just lots of habits.

L

15. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

I don't need superstitions - touch wood! ;)