Superstitions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purpleR

Guru
I try and hold my breath when driving through the clyde tunnel

I say hello when going into certain empty houses - only the ones I know are haunted (!)

and I clean the house on hogmanay - maybe more of a custom than a superstition?

Anyone know, is the magpie fixation an English thing? I'm really not familiar with it.

yenrod

Ive had punctue virtually every bleeding ride: Thurs eve - 1 lap to go on chainy and I geta phucking puncture

Im wondering why :biggrin: :biggrin:

Magpie's: I was, when young, very interested in Ornithology ;) and I know the Jackdaw and the Magpie aint to nice to sparrows and such like.

It's this reason I feel they are soo revered by the ancients sotospeak.

As I'm one for Justice I too am weary of them espically if they are in my way..

Yet on the other side of things they can make me wonder... Its the spiritual/physical thing aint it ?

I recall when young my Mum saying "dont walk under the ladder" - WHY "bad luck" - NOOOO - somethng may fall on me never mind out else..thats why I avoid 'em now...

To end though...i was travelling down a long hill today sort of winding like, and I thought I'd put a thread on here...spooky places on your training ride.

A mile or so after that some bloke parked up off the side of the road gave me a funny look then I got in his way, as he on a big get out of my way mission: if I was from the victorian era Id think he was a bad man or such like / of ill atmosphere = its how comprehention and attitudes change as times go by.

Weirdly the Magpie tradition is universal from Native Americans to the Chinese!

The doffing of hats and counting is definitely English, but the greeting came from my Mother's Scottish tradition, although it is shared with the Irish as a Celtic tradition.

The Scots believe it carries a drop of the Devil's blood under it's tongue and that it is a harbinger of death if sighted on the way to Church.

Top Bottom