Supplements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Carbs/electrolyte drinks I find quite useful on long rides. Tried some with protein to assist with recovery/muscle building but can't see that they would make any difference, and they don't taste as nice!

Other than that, no supplements - a good balanced diet will give you everything you need for cycling. I suspect this is also true for 90% of gym goers as well, unless maybe you are going for the biceps-pumped-up-to-110psi look ;)

OP
OP
gtsiwak

gtsiwak

Regular
As people have said, weight training supplements will be wasted on what is essentially an aerobic activity. Your legs simply aren't under enough stress to make them worthwhile.

I understand that ceratine is made for muscle and strength gain mainly.
But bcaa is a amino acid found in the muscles - it helps to recover. And that would be beneficial after long cycling session.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
gtsiwak

gtsiwak

Regular
Carbs/electrolyte drinks I find quite useful on long rides. Tried some with protein to assist with recovery/muscle building but can't see that they would make any difference, and they don't taste as nice!

Other than that, no supplements - a good balanced diet will give you everything you need for cycling. I suspect this is also true for 90% of gym goers as well, unless maybe you are going for the biceps-pumped-up-to-110psi look ;)

I'm going for the "300 Sparta look" -already bought the sandals:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm going for the "300 Sparta look" -already bought the sandals:tongue:

Haha, clipless sandals... I think you've hit upon an unexploited market niche! You might also want to look into getting a skirt guard for the rear wheel, to keep your cloak from getting caught ;)

I would have thought you get all the amino acids etc that you need from a healthy balanced diet, for all but the most extreme exercise scenarios. I'd be interested to hear more from anyone who has any expert knowledge on the subject!

Citius

I understand that ceratine is made for muscle and strength gain mainly.
But bcaa is a amino acid found in the muscles - it helps to recover. And that would be beneficial after long cycling session.

BCAAs are also found in 'regular' foods like chicken, beef, tuna, salmon, turkey, eggs and peanuts - in other words, they are found in a normal diet. So unless you don't eat any of those foods, then you should be fine without the supplements.

OP
OP
gtsiwak

gtsiwak

Regular
Ok. So that question is sorted now - no supplements.
And as for the "Sparta " look -I'll be calling my bicycle a "pony" . Sounds better than "Scott" anyway.

BigAl68

Über Member
Or more cider?
DSC_1203.JPG

vickster

Legendary Member
Congratulations on those nicely wrapped 'bars, I bet you didn't do that while pixxed^_^

As for the supplement question - many of the bodybuilding supplements (creatine for one) have the side effect of water retention so cycling would help to counteract that I should think.

By enabling subtle peeing behind a bush while out and about in the countryside?

Note this works less well for women (not that most of us would bother with supplements for building muscle)

ayceejay

Guru
By enabling subtle peeing behind a bush while out and about in the countryside?

Note this works less well for women (not that most of us would bother with supplements for building muscle)
Ha! the lady problem. My SIL walked the Compostelle last summer and took a funnel like gadget for peeing standing up, I would not recommend it on anecdotal evidence.

Top Bottom