Supplements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyR00

So I have just caught up on the Lance Armstrong doping controversy. I'm only 5-18 years too late.

So I see EPO is the wonder drug -which apparently can be bought online also.

So in my brief research, I see plenty of other legal supplements such as creatine, EPO boost (which claims to be a natural way to increase red blood cells), citrulline malate, beta alanine, protein powder etc.

Personally I fancy trying creatine if only for a month. I know its more geared toward body builders however I'm thinking of doing a few triathlons next year and hence the swimming could benefit from creatine.

What do you out think?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I wouldn't.

Slick

Guru
I think it just fills your muscles with water that quickly shrinks when you stop. No improvement on performance whatsoever.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

So its all cosmetic, I can believe that but hard to believe such a large industry is built around it.

The only one that really makes sense is cod liver oil which I could imagine genuinely helps your joints.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it just fills your muscles with water that quickly shrinks when you stop. No improvement on performance whatsoever.
Maybe you float better in the pool or summat?

Swimming effectively appears to be mostly about fitness and technique. Swim lots, maybe get coaching. Lift some weights for upper body strength?

Supplement marketers are highly effective at separating people looking for a quick fix from their cash

If you’re desperate to try something, Vit D and fish oils good for ropey joints according to my rheumatologist

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Any particular reason?

Just not in my nature.

So its all cosmetic, I can believe that but hard to believe such a large industry is built around it.

The only one that really makes sense is cod liver oil which I could imagine genuinely helps your joints.

Is pretty well known that vitamin supplements at least do bugger all that a good diet cannot I agree about the cod liver oil through experience. If I run out and don't take it for a week or so I get a dull ache /stiffness in my right elbow. This disappears once I get more.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru

We get drug training at work and this comes up every year.

I used to do them and, creatine, beta A, various amino acids. Religiously, for years, I'd cycle them, try different doses, and about 2013 I decided they make bugger all difference.

Glad to hear they've had no effect on your balanced judgements.

Drago

Legendary Member
They had no effect on my althletic performance, or my mentors measuring tape or scales. By every single empirical measure they made no difference - can't see what's more conclusive than cold, hard numbers.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

Difficult to say as you do read of plenty of people claiming say creatine has worked for them.

Could it not be a case of, creatine works for high level training, in other words, if you push yourself hard, constantly, in training over a long period, creatine will add that extra few % probably from sugar or protein boost. But as said you'd be as well taking a couple of energy bars/drinks?

Top Bottom