Support British Cycling's Turning the Corner campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have signed it. We use this system in Denmark and it works well.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've signed it. I'm quite surprised that a give way when turning rule isn't already in the UK road laws.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What does this even mean? You don't even have to (pretend to) be a UK resident to sign this. What sort of force can it have?

If they were serious, surely sponsoring an official petition would be a better idea. Are they just publicising themselves?

If I can vote for a Prime Minister in the UK, which I can. I can vote for this. I do actually cycle in the UK every year.

If I can vote for a Prime Minister in the UK, which I can. I can vote for this. I do actually cycle in the UK every year.
I wasn't talking to you. If I had been, I would have quoted you. But as you seem to need it, you have my express permission to fill out any online survey or poll you care to.

I was questioning the survey itself. They aren't even suggesting it should be limited to UK residents/voters/visitors. So when they total up the votes and prepare a press release, they can't say "30,000 UK residents have responded ...." or whatever, just 30,000 random people on the internet.

I can't imagine this poll will serve any useful purpose.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As much as I support this and have signed the petition, I think it is a mindset issue not law. The regulations (albeit cloudy), already give you priority but drivers do not or are unwilling to abide by this. Perhaps some very high profile cases involving lots of prison time and huge payout are needed as much as a clarification of the highway code :sad:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If they ignore this law in Denmark and hit a cyclist. They are fined and ordered to sit a new test. How simple is that. It works very well.

As much as I support this and have signed the petition, I think it is a mindset issue not law. The regulations (albeit cloudy), already give you priority but drivers do not or are unwilling to abide by this. Perhaps some very high profile cases involving lots of prison time and huge payout are needed as much as a clarification of the highway code :sad:
London is full of shared paths that have a stop line at each junction. Drivers can crush cyclists who cross these lines with impunity

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/senior-coroner-concludes-henry-langs-death-accidental

Reactions: mjr

Milkfloat

An Peanut
London is full of shared paths that have a stop line at each junction. Drivers can crush cyclists who cross these lines with impunity

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/senior-coroner-concludes-henry-langs-death-accidental

I totally agree that these stop lines are a disaster, they are one of the main reason I ride on the road and ignore those excuses for cycle paths. This is not an interpretation of law, it is how the 'designers' of the paths implemented them. They could have quite possibly have given priority to the cycle within existing law.

Anyway - I still support this effort to get things clarified and indeed publicised even if it just make some drivers think a bit and stop being nobbers.

Top Bottom