support vehicle insured?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Sorry guys not not been on in a while. There van is there solely for the carrying of spares, and a first aider, lead rider will be in radio contact with driver. And will meet at points along the way to swap water bottles,

thanks again, and 90 miles is not a normal ride for any of us, especially not pulling a cycle trailer

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Oh and our company has agreed to the purchase a new mountain bike to raffle between the two sites, all proceeds to the charity,

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sorry guys not not been on in a while. There van is there solely for the carrying of spares, and a first aider, lead rider will be in radio contact with driver. And will meet at points along the way to swap water bottles,

thanks again, and 90 miles is not a normal ride for any of us, especially not pulling a cycle trailer

In that case, I humbly withdraw my pooey first comment - a back up van to bring all the bikes home and supply buns etc isn't as daft.

I had visions of the van trundling behind the group being a ballsache to other road users, and tedious and demoralising for the cyclists, never mind the risk of the driver nodding off and ending up in the ditch, with or without a burnt out clutch - but that's not what you're doing. I have seen this done however - bonkers !

And to answer the question, the van in your scenario is merely doing a journey, so can't see any insurance issues at all

Mobytek

Hi Gents, the idea of a suport vehicle is one that is being taken up more and more.

Yes there are implications that need to be considered in order to be legal and insurance is one of them. Busines use insurnace for the purpose of he business being cycle related is the basics - as I have had to get for me, so really any mobile cycle mechanic would have this covered. A cycle shop, or a busines hriing a van for thee purposes would not be covered - but what are you wanting to be covered for?

Secondly ther is the Highways Chapter 8 regulations to consider, the Vehicle Construction and Use Act and the road safety Acts also - as an example - any vehicle that is moving consistantly less than 25mph is required to have a flashing amber beacon visable from all sides of the vehicle, so might need two or more depending on the vehicle, and the requirement that if there is a tail back of more than 7 vehicles you are obliged to pull over and let them pass.

Other points may be of what spares you are carrying and who will be administering thee repairs - say someone from the office is there to replace a puncture, the cyclist coninues then it failes causing injury....

Is you First aider suiatable qualified with the correct kit? and possible lastly - the "driver" will be in contact with the lead rider - well this is classed the same a what people think of as using your mbile whilst driving. The aim of this Law is that it is the distraction of a conversation that is the problem not the holding or use of a phone - so should the driver be talking to the lead rider and hit someone / thing they are banged to rights.

But I digress, these are but a few points that need to be considered - some may be not applicable, some might have been an oversight.

A Mobile mechanic may charge you a premium for their time (maybe £1 a mile say) but they should have the legal corners covered just in case.

I would normally offer less than 200 return for free, but on an agreement that there is some other mutually agreeable services.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
just a thought, but if I understand right, you're doing a round trip, so don't need to bring the bikes home, so why not just take a phone and phone for help if you have a major problem? Someone can then nip out in their car and be with you in an hour or so. What does the van really need to carry? Couple of inner tubes and a spanner and some allen keys. That'd go in a pocket. Even if someone is dishing out cake half-way, still can't be a van-load

Top Bottom