Suppot your local hobby shop blog post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A good piece. Two years ago a bike shop opened on our local parade. This after the two local ones closed over the last few years. He does seem to be doing quite well as the shop, particularly at weekends is busy, this is even with a halfords a mile or so down the road. He does the full range of services and is very personable and friendly.

classic33

Leg End Member
Worked in what was one of the local hobby shops. The last of the three remaining from when I was a kid. Although in later years it went under a series of names and owners.

The last three owners worked on the basis of profit, to them alone, with little thought of customer service. I went against that, but at the same time increased the money taken by the shop. Simple honesty to the customer, whilst not being afraid to admit I couldn't answer all their questions.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If I had a choice between the days when you bought everything from the plentiful local bike shops and now when there are hardly any left and most stuff needs to be internet purchased, I would choose the now any day.

Vastly superior range of stock at much cheaper prices, what's not to like?

Last edited:
OP
OP
simon the viking
If I had a choice between the days when you bought everything from the plentiful local bike shops and now when there are hardly any left and most stuff needs to be internet purchased, I would choose the now any day.

Vastly superior range of stock at much cheaper prices, what's not to like?

But when the remaining specalist shops are gone and the high street is full of supermarkets, bargain shops and Mike Ashley owned chains.. We all be mourning the loss of them..

If my lbs can match Amazon or Wiggle and can offer the same speed delivery for orders why should I line Jeff Bezo's pocket instead of a local mans i know personally

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
But when the remaining specalist shops are gone and the high street is full of supermarkets, bargain shops and Mike Ashley owned chains.. We all be mourning the loss of them..

If my lbs can match Amazon or Wiggle and can offer the same speed delivery for orders why should I line Jeff Bezo's pocket instead of a local mans i know personally
But most high street bike shops cannot get near the price of the online retailers neither can they stock more than a very limited amount of bikes, clothing and equipment. And if they need to order something in you almost always wait far longer than if you bought the same bit online.

And why should I care who my money ends up with provided I get what I want?

OP
OP
simon the viking
But that was James' point he can compete on price just people assume he can't so dont ask.

If he hasn't got it delivery is around the same time as on line and more convienent than waiting in at home and as convienent as drop off points.

Yes a lot of BAD bike shops have failed because they were rude and disorganised but a lot of good ones are failing now as well.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
And a page in .... And no one has pulled me up about the missing R in the title:whistle:
Was letting it go.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom