Surly disk trucker build , fd issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atlantis

hi
I have built up a Dt with the following components
Deore M590 Crankset 48-36-26
Fd Sora 3503
dura Ace shifters. friction front and index rear.

I am not being able to get a smooth shift onto the biggest chainring.
The issue is that the chain, either won't shift or she would just fall off to the outside.

I tried the limit screws and the cable tensioning, but no luck.
Any suggestions ?

The Sora shifter is not made for that job. It's shifting ramps will be in the wrong place for moving the chain smoothly, hence the sudden move and then overshift.

Is that a hollowtech crankset, if so have you used the correct spacer on the FD side? I'm not sure why Yellow Saddle is saying it's the wrong FD, he'll have to elaborate but initially it appears OK to me.

Is that a hollowtech crankset, if so have you used the correct spacer on the FD side? I'm not sure why Yellow Saddle is saying it's the wrong FD, he'll have to elaborate but initially it appears OK to me.

You are right. I thought it is a FD for double-chainring cranks but I see it is a triple model. Rethink in process.

Spacer advice, according to bb shell size

3. Conventional bottom brackets come in a bunch of different sizes to accommodate different shell widths, cranks and the use or otherwise of E-type plate-mount front derailleurs. HTII is a whole lot simpler – one size fits all. You get three 2.5mm spacers in the box, which sit behind the bearing cups in different combinations according to shell width and front mech mount. Here we’re using a 68mm shell and a band-on front mech, which needs two spacers on the drive side and one on the non-drive side. If we were using an E-type mech we’d leave out one drive-side spacer and replace it with the mech plate. For 73mm shells you’ll need to leave out the non-drive side spacer and run either one spacer or the mech plate on the drive side.

Have you correctly installed the chainset? When I first built my LHT, I hadn't hammered it in properly, which resulted in me trying 3 different FDs before working out they weren't the reason I couldn't shift to big ring.

OP
OP
A

atlantis

thanks for the replies !
@ Crackle Yes I did install the spacers as per 2 drive side and 1 non drive side.
I also wanted to clarify, the bb52 hollowtech bb , came with 3x 2.5mm spacers. 2 for the driveside and 1 for the non drive side. Initially the fd would need a lot of effort to reach the largest chainring. I went against the default path and put 2 spacers on the Nds and 1 spacer on the drive side. This change made the fd reach out to the 48 chainring.
I hope I haven't messed up anything there.

@Yellow Saddle , I will certainly do the instructions as you have suggested

ozboz

Guru
I have a Surley CC , I had a third ring fitted to the chain wheel , the silver one ,
front Dr is Tiagra and works really well , as per photo ,
image.jpeg
Hope this may help

thanks for the replies !
@ Crackle Yes I did install the spacers as per 2 drive side and 1 non drive side.
I also wanted to clarify, the bb52 hollowtech bb , came with 3x 2.5mm spacers. 2 for the driveside and 1 for the non drive side. Initially the fd would need a lot of effort to reach the largest chainring. I went against the default path and put 2 spacers on the Nds and 1 spacer on the drive side. This change made the fd reach out to the 48 chainring.
I hope I haven't messed up anything there.

@Yellow Saddle , I will certainly do the instructions as you have suggested
It sounds OK. The initial advice is just guidance and to some extent it will depend on the chainset and FD. My other thought is height of the FD above the big chainring. If you've got this too high, it will struggle to make the change, too low and the whole thing jams up. Further thoughts include cable run, whether it's optimal, whether it's smooth.

OP
OP
A

atlantis

Thanks for the replies guys. I went with the Sora triple , because Surly has them on their stock bikes. However the effort to setup it up and the fear of overshifting , made me get an mtb fd, Slapped on an slx direct mount and all seems good.

@Orboz is that a triple tiagra fd ?

ozboz

Guru
[

Thanks for the replies guys. I went with the Sora triple , because Surly has them on their stock bikes. However the effort to setup it up and the fear of overshifting , made me get an mtb fd, Slapped on an slx direct mount and all seems good.

@Orboz is that a triple tiagra fd ?

Yep , works really well , its got bar end shifters ,
As long as the FD is meant to shift for tripple rings all should be ok ,

Last edited:
Top Bottom