Surly Ogre or Long Haul Trucker for my on/off road tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
It has quite a long top tube - so a more stretched-out feel which may or may not be to your taste....Nope - only one set of bottle cage bosses. This is a disadvantage, when I had mine re-powdercoated I had a framemaker put extra bosses on, but there are other aftermarket options.

Yeah, I used an 18" 456 frame to replace a 19" Rockhopper frame that snapped. The front triangle is still a good inch longer on the 456. Oh well, the geometry was on the website, my bad I should have checked. I think the frame was 90quid off eBay, 50 quid for a couple of sets of extra bottle mounts + a single mount for a mudguard at the top of the seat stays, 35quid for powdercaoting.

Out of interest, how do you find the 456 handles at the front end as a tourer? I notice the head angle is fairly slack compared to the MTB I ride (and also to Surly's offerings), and I've heard this can make the front a bit wallowy on climbs, although much more capable on descents. This is only what I've heard, though, since I don't have any experience of anything other than XC race type frames, with steep head angles.

Not that I have much undstanding of this sort of thing, but reading their website they've twinked the 456 a fair bit over the years and head angle has slackened only recently. It would depend which version you have, and also what forks you're sticking up front. Not doing much touring this summer, I've had a play sticking all sorts up front and ended up sticking with 29er front wheel in the Orange P8 steel forks I was using in the beginning. Not saying it's a great idea for a touring bike in general, but as said above the frame was too long and it puts the bars up and back a bit and the steering seems a bit more relaxed. Lot more fun to ride anyhow.

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking Surly is the way forward. I have ridden on a Troll and liked it. Although the owner did say, he wish he had bought the Ogre, but it came out a year after he bought his Troll. I am 5,10, so think the Ogre will be fine. Just need to work out what frame size as I only have a couple of 26" MTB's to compare.

For the sake of the couple of hundred quid saved by doing up an old 456 frame I would probably do the same, if I had the choice again. You can do something similar with one of the On-Ones frames, but you'll probably want to sort the mount situation out and if you're thinking of putting on any front racks, the forks that come with the Surly Orge/Troll frame are already perfect. You'd have to buy something similar then anyhow or get a rack that's good for forks with no mounts.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've seen a fellow at work with an Ogre, but he's always going another direction on a busy stretch of road, so I can't stop (a company bus) and ask him about it, but from the grin on his face I'd say he enjoys it. Looks like a fun, well made bicycle with all the bits and bobs one expects from a tourer.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I like my 2010 Surly, fitted butterfly bars and bolt on aero bars (for when I need to get out of the wind or just go faster) I big apple tyres from Schwalbe 28*2.00 still had room for full guards. most comfy bike I have ridden.

Sparkyman

Top Bottom