Surly Singulator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi,

Anyone here using a surly singulator for chain tensioning on their single speed conversion? I have one and it seems to be quite noisy. The shimano jockey wheel that it came with seems to 'float' about and make lots of noise - is this normal? Otherwise it's pretty cool! My chainline is fairly close to perfect before you ask.

stevew

Just fitted one ten mins ago to my MTB after removing all the multi speed bits and it seems quite noisy but the jockey wheel does not have any excessive float. Is the bolt that goes through the jockey wheel screwed home fully ? Is the jockey wheel dead in line with the chain ?

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Yeah it's all screwed home fully - you can slide the jockey wheel from side to side but not by much, perhaps 1mm each way. On a rear mech the jockey wheels are laterally fixed, so I thought this was odd; combined with the excessive noise it made me think. Anyway , it seems to work well so I'm sure it's fine - and I now quite like the sound of it!

stevew

Mine was noisy initially but I had a load of tension on it 'cos that is what I thought the instructions said. It worked fine but there seemed to be a lot of drag in the drive system, more than the old derailleur system. So I reduced the tension and it all got much quieter and free-er (is there such a word) and so far no problems.

Top Bottom