Surprise N+1 - a Viking Targa DD24

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was browsing Gumtree this afternoon for a possible 'bad weather' commuter and found this: a Viking Targa DD 24 for £10 which the seller had listed 5 minutes previously. 24 speed Shimano Alivio gears, Promax disc brakes and a new back tyre.

B0519.jpg

Phoned, bought and home within the hour.

Thoughts? The frame's heavy and a bit battered, but the components seem to work. I'm planning to transfer them over to a smaller frame after the winter. Oh and I just happen to have a spare pair of nice 26" disc wheels sitting unused :thumbsup: as the ones on it are basic.

ASC1951

Guru
Thoughts?
Gumtree? Just pretend to be out when the true owners traces it ...:whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't see how you can go wrong.

You are obviously fit enough to handle a heavy bike and you have the expertise to fettle to it - advantages that most buyers of such a bike do not have.

RWright

Guru
Nice find. I use craigslist quite a bit here. Timing can be crucial. :thumbsup: There are apps here that give you a phone alert every time the particular section you want to monitor is updated.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Quick update; I've checked it over, freed the chain (although a new one may be needed - ordered), got the brakes & gears working OK and the wheels are mostly trued.

Seems to be working fine, although it'll need a new front tyre.

Overall: well worth a tenner. Me ^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Just fitted a Clark's anti-rust chain for it and a front tyre I had spare - but it's done 1 commute and that's the cost of the bike covered.

Oh, and hopefully it'll be getting a new frame in the spring; I bought this Raleigh SP 150 MTB frame from eBay.

Overall: it goes and it stops. It's what a budget MTB should do - the disc brakes work and the gears work fine, particularly now the chain's been replaced.

Top Bottom