Survey on Cycling and Mobile Fitness App Use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomothy

Are you a cyclist? Do you use a mobile fitness app such as Strava, Mapmyride, Runtastic Road or Mountain bike, or a similar app?

Hi, my name is Thomas Guffey and I am a doctoral student at Texas Woman’s University in Denton, TX and a cyclist as well. I am interested in how mobile fitness applications (apps) and smartphones may be changing the way cyclists ride both socially and physically.

The purpose of the study is to investigate social meanings and health meanings associated with mobile fitness app use among cyclists. I would like to invite you to participate in my research on mobile fitness app use. This is an opportunity to share your opinions and help grow knowledge on this subject by answering questions on how apps influence your motivations to ride and how these apps shape your cycling experience. Participation is completely voluntary. The survey results will be kept anonymous and there will be no data collected that will allow the researcher to identify you. It will take approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete the survey. If you are interested in participating please visit the following link: https://www.psychdata.com/s.asp?SID=161622.

I am interested in this topic for academic reasons and I am not affiliated with the companies that make the apps. If you have any questions about this research at any time you can contact me at: twucyclingstudy@gmail.com. Please note that there is a potential loss of confidentiality in all e-mail, downloading, and internet transactions.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi Thomas and welcome and also thats a done !!

LauraTC79

I think you'd get more responses to the survey if it was shorter, or offered an incentive. 15 - 20 mins is too long for most people to take the time out to complete. Get it down to 5 mins and you'd get a lot more responses.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Either I missed a lot of questions out or it didn't take me 15 mins! In fact my previous post was 6 mins before this one.

some of the answers are a bit eccentric ....
35)I regularly use fitness apps to upload and share my workout data on social websites such as Facebook or Twitter so others can see.

Strongly AgreeAgreeNeutralDisagreeStrongly Disagree

Wouldn't "always, sometimes, rarely, never" make better sense. Eg, I occasionally post achievements to facebook, once every month or two. I decided that was "disagree", but another user might think it was "strongly agree". I don't see how you can get useful data from this

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Do you use strava etc? I suspect the survey is quite short if you answer "no" to last question on the first page.
Yes I do use Strava

U

User33236

I think you will find that loads of folk will use Strava et al via Garmin devices etc and share with social media just the same. I do not know of any of my friends who use the smart phone apps instead.

Top Bottom