Survey on new gear system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vectr

Regular
I am conducting market research on a new product I have developed, and would welcome honest feedback from serious cyclists. The VECTr is a light-weight, efficiently simple, interchangeable expanding gear system for bicycles. To learn more, please visit www.vectr-gear.com and take the survey ("Tell Us What You Think")

Thank you for participating!

Sharky

Guru
An interesting idea and a couple of points

- Can you change gear when under extreme load. When hill climbing?
- chainrings are effectively square, which makes the leverage variable as it rotates? The "egg" rings are designed to increase the gear at the point where you can apply the most force. These are at 180 degrees. With yours, the higher loads would be at 90 degrees, so on two of the points, the load would increase at the point where your legs have the least power output. Don't know how this would actually feel like when riding or would it be noticeable.
- if you are going to couple this with a 10 or 11 speed cassette at the rear, I don't know if the extreme chain lines would cause the chain to derail?

Good luck with the trials

Keith

Ern1e

Über Member
Ok this may be the "dumb" reply but what the hell is wrong with what we have now ? or to put it more simply IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

young Ed

Veteran
hang on, so does the shifter on the bars somehow operate a spring operated mechanism that moves those 4 individual teeth in or out to effectively make a larger or smaller chain ring?
would agree with other posts on here that there is not a problem there that needs to be fixed and derailleur shifting is used on everything from £20 argos or tesco things to the very best £10,000 pinnarelo carbon beauties used by the likes of Froome and Wiggo etc and they work perfectly
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
also it states in the link that it eliminates wear from the chain rubbing on the front derailleur, any properly set up front derailleur (mine included) will only rub on the chain for a split second when changing so i would say this wear is negligible
Cheers Ed

Custom24

Über Member
I think it has potential. Not sure about the claimed chain wear saving because fewer points of contact than a chainring means more wear overall, surely?
You need a better video. At least put a pedal on the crank so that you can rotate the system smoothly.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've read about similar devices before. Specifically the "Deal Drive" which was actually an automatic transmission (it was torque sensitive I think)
Deal_Drive_3_Bicycle_March_1983_l.jpg

If you can make it light and reliable, maybe combined with an enclosed chaincase it could have a role on city bikes, I guess.

Or maybe not. Best of luck with it

OP
OP
V

vectr

Regular
An interesting idea and a couple of points

- Can you change gear when under extreme load. When hill climbing?
- chainrings are effectively square, which makes the leverage variable as it rotates? The "egg" rings are designed to increase the gear at the point where you can apply the most force. These are at 180 degrees. With yours, the higher loads would be at 90 degrees, so on two of the points, the load would increase at the point where your legs have the least power output. Don't know how this would actually feel like when riding or would it be noticeable.
- if you are going to couple this with a 10 or 11 speed cassette at the rear, I don't know if the extreme chain lines would cause the chain to derail?

Good luck with the trials

Keith
Only limited road trials so far, so no data, but it should change gears no matter the load since the gear segments change radial position when not engating the chain. Those sections engaging the chain can be under whatever load, and it won't affect the ability of the non-egaged segment to change position.

Some have seen a similarity to oblong or irregular chainrings, and both as and advantage and a disadvantage. The relative position of the crank arms to the gear segments could be easily redesigned for optimal effect. It does seem, though, that the square-ness of the chain path when VECTr is in expanded position (lumpiness) will not be as noticeable since larger gears are used on downhill or level roads when the pedal momentum is at play, and crank loads are not heavy.
In more contracted settings, the squareness would be less pronounces, and in the smallest position, non-existent.

I suppose a chain guide could allow the use of cassettes, but installing VECTr on the rear hub would maintain a consistent chainline, and eliminate the problem of chain drop (as well as reducing chain wear).

Thanks for you interest and support.

OP
OP
V

vectr

Regular
Another 'solution' looking for a problem...
Thanks for your feedback.

I hope web site makes apparent VECTr's advantages of preventing chain drops by keeping the chainline constant, but allowing more gearing choices that 3 chainrings, and that it can do this while weighing as much or less than 3 chainring systems, being inexpensive to produce, and as interchangable as current component systems (no special frame, hub or bottom bracket).

OP
OP
V

vectr

Regular
Ok this may be the "dumb" reply but what the hell is wrong with what we have now ? or to put it more simply IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.
No, its not "dumb". Thank you for your feedback.

Chain droppage is the ostensive "problem" which (when developed) this system eliminates at no loss to performance, and at a savings of weight and cost over other "solutions".

OP
OP
V

vectr

Regular
hang on, so does the shifter on the bars somehow operate a spring operated mechanism that moves those 4 individual teeth in or out to effectively make a larger or smaller chain ring?
The 4 components which move are gear segments with five teeth, but yes, the rider shifts to move them radially toward the periphery or the center to effectively make a larger or smaller chain ring.
would agree with other posts on here that there is not a problem there that needs to be fixed and derailleur shifting is used on everything from £20 argos or tesco things to the very best £10,000 pinnarelo carbon beauties used by the likes of Froome and Wiggo etc and they work perfectly
Cheers Ed
Tell that to Andy Schleck in 2010.

OP
OP
V

vectr

Regular
I think it has potential. Not sure about the claimed chain wear saving because fewer points of contact than a chainring means more wear overall, surely?
Reduced chain wear is not VECTr’s main advantage. But while the five teeth of each gear segment may increase wear on those links because of heavier load, there are six or seven links suffering no wear. The extra-wear on some links will pass around the chain, so overall there is not increased wear, or it is minimal. Think of it this way: VECTr only has 20 teeth which engage the chain, so chain wear will be the same as always running on a 20t ring, but the rider will have the advantage of 24 to 44 tooth equavalent gears.
You need a better video. At least put a pedal on the crank so that you can rotate the system smoothly.
You're right. The video could be better. But this is just a working model to show the proof of concept. As a product is developed, I hope for it to run smoothly.

Thanks for you input.

OP
OP
V

vectr

Regular
Looks more like a 'theory'.

I cannot can't quite see how it will be able to 'jump' the chain when the front section expands.
Not sure what you mean. Nothing 'jumps' the chain; sections expand when they are not engaging the chain.

Let me know if I did not understand correctly.

Top Bottom