Surviving Lyon...a good route through??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Seems to me that all roads south go through Lyon...so...has anybody ridden through this town? What is the quickest and easiest way to navigate it N>S? My limited brain says hug the river bank and follow it through ..is it as easy as that? I suspect not.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Why not just avoid it altogether. It's not a bad place as cities go but why would you choose to cycle through it unless you have a reason to?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..I am just thinkng that if the river goes that way it does so because it (like me) doesnt like hills much...so I thought it would probably be the flatest most direct route, that was all.

Before I got to Basel i was dreading riding through it. On the map it looks like a cyclists nightmare. In reality all I did was ride along the bank of the Rhine and it was a breeze.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Seems to me that all roads south go through Lyon...so...has anybody ridden through this town? What is the quickest and easiest way to navigate it N>S? My limited brain says hug the river bank and follow it through ..is it as easy as that? I suspect not.

It's not that easy. I followed the river as far as the roads would let me and then there's some very busy roads and junctions to navigate which rivalled the Cumberland Gap in the amount of anxiety that they generated. I seemed to be fly paper for nutters when I ws seeking assistance with directions and I was furnished with incomprehensible and conflicting advice.

One tip is to follow the signs that say 'Toutes Directions' until you see the town or the town beyond the one that you want appear on the direction signs.

I seem to remember it was not that tricky or stressfull-i came in from northwest and exited south mainly along the river - most of roads that were not good you are not allowed on anyway - you can see across river(s) quieter roads (and cycleways are signposted centrum etc) reasonable number of bridges so that you can swap sides if you want- I liked Lyon nice buzz in the evening in eating areas (and the irish pubs actually had irish beer) - compared to a lot of big towns it was a piece of cake

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
psmiffy said:
I seem to remember it was not that tricky or stressfull-i came in from northwest and exited south mainly along the river - most of roads that were not good you are not allowed on anyway - you can see across river(s) quieter roads (and cycleways are signposted centrum etc) reasonable number of bridges so that you can swap sides if you want- I liked Lyon nice buzz in the evening in eating areas (and the irish pubs actually had irish beer) - compared to a lot of big towns it was a piece of cake

The most accomodating roads were closed because of major roadworks and there were lots of diversions. Lyon is a nice place but the road system wasn't at the time of my journey through the place.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok...so coming in from Trevoux>D51>down to the river bank...then follow it along south...as close as possible...would eventually get me out in th edirecxtion of Vienne?? on the D93/D 312/D4?.....jus tone other question if I may...are the streets there cobblestones? I'll be on 28 size tyres and fully loaded...so cobblestones are not on my agenda.

Top Bottom