Suspended sentence for Bristol driver who punched cyclist unconscious

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But people offer opinions on news reports all the time. To state that unless someone hears all the evidence presented in court they “...cannot form an opinion” is a bit odd. If I say that I believe that the sentence of the perpetrator is much too lenient and this opinion is based purely on the newspaper article. Surely, I am entitled to this opinion even though I was not in court? People are then entitled to agree or disagree as is their right.

In my opinion, this post is correct.

But people offer opinions on news reports all the time. To state that unless someone hears all the evidence presented in court they “...cannot form an opinion” is a bit odd. If I say that I believe that the sentence of the perpetrator is much too lenient and this opinion is based purely on the newspaper article. Surely, I am entitled to this opinion even though I was not in court? People are then entitled to agree or disagree as is their right.

Sure, just bear in mind that journalists don't have all the facts, or may not present all the facts, and/or will be biased one way or the other, and will write the article accordingly.

I dont know the full story but it sounds odd he got away with it twice. I think third time could well be unlucky for him.

And those two times are only the times which we know about - we don't know if he's acted in this way towards people who - for whatever reason - haven't even reported it, or haven't wanted to take it forward to prosecution.

And I think if there is a third time, it'll be unlucky for the victim. It is within the power of the perpetrator to moderate his own behaviour and thus the consequences thereof. Nothing to do with 'luck'.

DRM

Guru
Hopefully his next potential victim is someone like Nacer Bouhanni, who would more then likely put him straight on his backside, it’s seems it’s the only way people like that learn to amend their ways

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
A suspended sentence gives him far longer "thinking time" than any likely custodial period under those guidelines. He also has over 4 weeks voluntary works to remind him he's not free. A suspended sentence has its uses. A custodial sentence is at best a blunt tool. Possibly society "benefits" during the period of incarceration but the trace it leaves, costs us all dearly, very day.

Watched the clip via the Barrister site and was amazed that the driver had a passenger who is out of the van so fast his behaviour is extremely suspect. Likely impossible to prove anything but clearly he was not a calming influence. As the Barrister advises I'll keep a calm head and avoid doing anything that might set such people off. That might not be right, but as someone else pointed out its self preservation.

Top Bottom