Suspended term for 156mph motorbiker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
User3143 said:
They were not, feel free to write to Devon & Cornwall Police though Linf.xx(

No level of fine can change what has happened. I expect they feel guilty as hell for their part in it.

CotterPin said:
The actions of the Astra driver was a moment's thoughtlessness. The actions of the motorcyclist were deliberate, calculated and sustained over a long period of time.

It only took a moment of thoughtlessness by the driver of the car which took my mate out to change his life forever. That is all that is needed.

thomas

the tank engine
very-near said:
No level of fine can change what has happened. I expect they feel guilty as hell for their part in it.

If you're blaming the Astra then, maybe they shouldn't be on that roads...or need to retake their test. It's not all about feeling bad.

thomas said:
If you're blaming the Astra then, maybe they shouldn't be on that roads...or need to retake their test. It's not all about feeling bad.

I think if blame is to be apportioned (as the courts have, they should examine all of the participants of the incident before pressing charges)

skwerl

User3143 said:
They were not, feel free to write to Devon & Cornwall Police though Linf.xx(

why not? there's no overtaking on that stretch of road. he overtook another car so therefore is driving with undue care and consideration

Crankarm

Guru
I've watched the whole thing thanks to thomas for posting. These bikers are lunatics. They were road racing. They rode through the road works with a 50mph limit at the start at 79-80 mph. At one point the following bike reached 172mph!!! on a public road. The biker who was killed was an idiot. As already said by others and myself one less lunatic on the road. What hope had the Astra driver or any other car with a high powered sports bike approaching at such speed and quick acceleration from behind? The deceased biker rode straight into the back of the overtaking car on the wrong side of the carriageway resulting him going under the camper van. Had he hung back and waited rather than overtaking with on coming traffic approaching at such an insane speed then he might still be alive. But probably only to do something similar further down the road. The footage also showed that the following camera bike was also overtaking dangerously into oncoming traffic as well on a twisty single lane each way carriageway. Think of all those drivers that must have nearly shat themselves as they squeezed their cars to the side of the road to make room to avoid them. Had a cyclist been on the road at these points then they would have been crushed. The surviving following biker should have his machine crushed and banned for at least 10 years or a life time ban. They are absolute menaces and are typical of the biker nutters I mean. Thoughtless, selfish and arrogant barstewards.

CotterPin

very-near said:
It only took a moment of thoughtlessness by the driver of the car which took my mate out to change his life forever. That is all that is needed.

I don't know about your mate but in this instance the motorcyclist had made a conscious decision to travel at speed for some distance. There is a world of difference between someone on the spur of the moment thinking "I'll pull out now" and someone deciding to drive their vehicle at excessive speed for a lengthy period of time

skwerl

thomas said:
Where did it say no overtaking?

the diagonal lines in the middle of the road:

HC rule 130

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
  • if the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so
  • if the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency

garrilla

Crankarm said:
I've watched the whole thing thanks to thomas for posting. These bikers are lunatics. They were road racing. They rode through the road works with a 50mph limit at the start at 79-80 mph. At one point the following bike reached 172mph!!! on a public road. The biker who was killed was an idiot. As already said by others and myself one less lunatic on the road. What hope had the Astra driver or any other car with a high powered sports bike approaching at such speed and quick acceleration from behind? The deceased biker rode straight into the back of the overtaking car on the wrong side of the carriageway resulting him going under the camper van. Had he hung back and waited rather than overtaking with on coming traffic approaching at such an insane speed then he might still be alive. But probably only to do something similar further down the road. The footage also showed following bike was overtaking into oncoming traffic as well. Think of all those drivers that must have nearly shat themselves as they squeezed their cars to the side of the road to make room to avoid them. Had a cyclist been on the road at these points then they would have been crushed. The following biker should have his machine crushed and banned for at least 10 years or a life time ban. They are absolute menaces and are typical of the biker nutters I mean. Thoughtless, selfish and arrogant barstewards.

and thus the butterfly flapped its wings
and without a bye or second thought,
it left without
a
trace
but in its place
a
trail
of devestatation in its wake

mangaman

The Astra driver appeared to be an impatient driver overtaking unnecessarily, but there appeared to be room for his overtake.

The overtake was poorly judged, like so many speeding drivers, but not illegal

The bikers on the other hand....

He even overtook a car that seemed to have pulled over to let an ambulance past at about 4 minutes into the video.

The bbc video showed wide dual carriage ways
The fatal crash was only a really busy road just after a roundabout.

Gobsmacking

mangaman

skwerl said:

HC rule 130

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
  • if the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so
  • if the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency

True

The area where the crash occured was bordered by a broken white line

As I said the Astra should not have overtaken there, but overtaking at that point is not illegal

CotterPin

The most graphic part of the video for me is when the two riders are close together on the roundabout before the final (for one of them) stretch of road. At that point they speed is down to around 20 mph. If that man had made a conscious decision at that point to stay within the speed limit after he left the roundabout...

thomas

the tank engine
skwerl said:

HC rule 130

It didn't have a solid white line...and it doesn't say you can't overtake....which was more my picky point.

btw...this guy has been done for speeding before too...

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/hom...ing-170mph/article-695012-detail/article.html

Crankarm

Guru
thomas said:
It didn't have a solid white line...and it doesn't say you can't overtake....which was more my picky point.

btw...this guy has been done for speeding before too...

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/hom...ing-170mph/article-695012-detail/article.html

Think of all the other times they probably caused mayhem, alarm and fear on the roads and weren't caught. Even though they had both been caught speeding excessively before. The 2 year suspended sentence handed to Bowden is a joke only granted as the family of the deceased claimed that they were both very good friends and had ridden a lot together. Ironically the family of the deceased rider said he would have done anything for anyone. Indeed they always do.

If you freeze frame the footage the Astra car that was overtaking in front of the biker was well established in the over taking position when the biker made contact with the rear of the vehicle. When the car signals and begins to manoevre to overtake the vehicle in front of him the bike rider has plenty of time to brake and slow down. I think he didn't see him as he was focusing on the on coming traffic or was just accelerating so fast he could not stop. In any event his riding was extremely dangerous and pre-meditated.

As it's going to be a nice weekend for cycling no doubt there will also be loads of bikers on the roads. Let's hope those that are nutters learn by these bikers' mistakes and ride responsibly.

Top Bottom