Suspension seatposts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Well, I've tried it. Thanks for the tip Crankarm - I found the adjustment, which took it from aparrently doing nothing to working. This is a cheap one, and bounces a little bit on holes, but it did seem to take out some of the effects of the abysmal road surfaces. I may try a better one and resell this one at some stage. As it's a plain to (so I needed my adapter) there's no movement there. As a first experiment it's interesting. I may try a better one and see if I think it's worth using.

betty swollocks

large member
A good one (eg USE) will take the sting out of big hits, while at the same time not bob up and down with normal pedalling.
If you have a road bike and just want to reduce the impact of bumps and reduce vibration, get a rigid carbon one.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Crankarm gets 10/10 for his post.

I played around with the seatpost I accidentally bought. It's a HL Corp SP-79. It took the worst of the bumps in the roads out and reduced the vibration from the bad surfaces. Even when the tensioning adjustment was on maximum it tended to bounce a bit and bottom out on the worst bumps - quite uncomfortable.

I'm sure the inability to get it quite right is because I'm too heavy for it, so I looked at the spec on the Cushy SL Post Moderne that Crankarm wrote about, decided that at £15 I couldn't go wrong and bought one.

I'm at the upper weight limit for the standard spring, so just need to avoid eating too many pies. I've used it a number of times and can't improve on what Crankarm has said. It is an excellent device.

I did need to adjust the spring tension to near maximum, and also put 1/2 turn on the adjuster that stops lateral movement. Apart from that it just went on and worked.

So thank you Crankarm for a good recommendation. As the Evans sell off seems to be end of line I may now have to buy another one as a spare - usual story....

As I now have a surplus saddle (Spoon) surplus suspension seatpost and a spare clamp for it which I don't need I feel a for sale ad coming on.

ushills

Veteran
I have used a USE seatpost on my MTB for years, kind of a good compromise between a proper hardtail and a full suspension. TBH the only time I notice it is on those bumps that would jar your spine, the USE cushions the hits and takes the pain out of the bump. If set up properly with the correct spring for your weight you shouldn't notice any bobbing when cycling along as it will settle with your weight on it then just cushion stuff out.

Crankarm

Guru
Crankarm gets 10/10 for his post.

I played around with the seatpost I accidentally bought. It's a HL Corp SP-79. It took the worst of the bumps in the roads out and reduced the vibration from the bad surfaces. Even when the tensioning adjustment was on maximum it tended to bounce a bit and bottom out on the worst bumps - quite uncomfortable.

I'm sure the inability to get it quite right is because I'm too heavy for it, so I looked at the spec on the Cushy SL Post Moderne that Crankarm wrote about, decided that at £15 I couldn't go wrong and bought one.

I'm at the upper weight limit for the standard spring, so just need to avoid eating too many pies. I've used it a number of times and can't improve on what Crankarm has said. It is an excellent device.

I did need to adjust the spring tension to near maximum, and also put 1/2 turn on the adjuster that stops lateral movement. Apart from that it just went on and worked.

So thank you Crankarm for a good recommendation. As the Evans sell off seems to be end of line I may now have to buy another one as a spare - usual story....

As I now have a surplus saddle (Spoon) surplus suspension seatpost and a spare clamp for it which I don't need I feel a for sale ad coming on.

Glad to have been of help.

Top Bottom