Sustrans Aviemore to Pitlochry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

Still planning the cycle trip to the highlands. I intend to get the overnight train to Aviemore have a few nights there then head south to |Pitlochry. Looking at Sustrans route 7 it is a mixture of of road and road, looking at the map it looks like for the A9 part of the ride it is using the old A9 which I dont mind using , but dont fancy riding the new A9 and playing chicken with the artics etc. Anyone tried this cycle or any alternative routes from Aviemore south to Pitlochry. Dont was any extreme downhill off road escapades or 2 mile long 1 in 3 climbs. Also sugestions for camp sites or places to pitch along the route would be appreciated.

P.H

Über Member
This is worth a read;
http://www.highlandhostel.co.uk/drumochter/drumochter.html

I've ridden the Dalwhinnie to Pitlochy section and would agree with the above report. Pretty rough in places, but no real problem and other than the A9 no real alternative over Drumochter. Just take care. Don't know of any campsites, but the hostel that the abov link is from is a great place to stay.

snorri

Legendary Member
There is no need to use any section of the A9 between Aviemore and Pitlochry.
The cattle grids are now open on the NCN, so there is no need to stop to open the gates.
If you explain at which point you think you need to be on the A9, I can describe the alternative.
There are campsites at Aviemore, Kingussie, Blair Atholl, Pitlochry(2), and plenty of places to wild camp.

smeg

I wouldn't mind doing that myself or similar and I've got a touring bike now as well, can't help but think getting my bike from Southampton/Portsmouth-London-Glasgow-Aviemore via trains would be more trouble than it's worth that's why I go backpacking instead and going by coach is less hassle. If you stay in Aviemore, stay on the Rothiemurchus campsite rather than that Glen More rip off further long near Cairngorm mountain. Lots of good tracks along there you can bomb along when you've taken all the gear off. I was in Aviemore in April, I trekked down to Braemar and back via the Lairig Ghru, it was knackering but good.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Thanks Smeg. I know rothiemurchus well as have been using it for years with my caravan, one of my favorite site. Quite agree dont like glenmore, over priced and hectic.
At least at Rothiemurchus you can walk down to Aviemore in the evening for a beer (or 6), then stagger back

smeg

delt1c said:
Thanks Smeg. I know rothiemurchus well as have been using it for years with my caravan, one of my favorite site. Quite agree dont like glenmore, over priced and hectic.
At least at Rothiemurchus you can walk down to Aviemore in the evening for a beer (or 6), then stagger back
That's quite a fair old distance from the town to the campsite, esp. if you've got a 20kg's pack on your back and it's p*ssing down like it usually is :biggrin: and you've been on a coach all night sitting next to some strange person, about the same distance from Fort William to Glen Nevis oddly enough that's a nice campsite too. I'll probably be back there soon (early Oct), I plan on getting off the train at Rannoch or Corrour Station and trekking though all the boggy crud alongside Blackwater Reservoir in up to my knees in it I expect to Kinlochleven then to Fort William eventually. If I were to take my touring bike with me I'd probably go to Fort William, lots of options from there, good place to set off from.

Danny

Legendary Member
I cycled Sustrans route last year - in the opposite direction - and it was basically a good quality route all the way. There are some long sections of cinder track, but they were very ridable.

The main thing you need to worry about is the rain and the midges - though not necessarily in that order.

Top Bottom