Sustrans Cycle Leader advocates law breaking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sorry about the lengthy cut and paste, but this, I think, is worth reading. The red highlighting sums it up.

It's a wee bit unfair to lay this at the door of Sustrans (checks pulse). Sounds like one individual has lost it a little bit.

CYCLING AND THE LAW

"Can my 11 year old cycle on the pavement?" and "Can I be done for cycling furiously?" and many other legal questions answered.

Many cyclists are afraid of vehicular traffic so cycle on footpaths. While understandable at certain busy intersections and the like, it's very much against the law. If a certain stretch of road is deemed too dangerous to cycle on, choose an alternative route or walk your bike on the dangerous stetch. If you ride on the footpath or footway, you could cop a fine and you'll certainly antagonise pedestrians.
Bicycles are, in law, carriages (as a consequence of the Taylor v Goodwin judgment in 1879) and should be on the highway not footpaths.
However, despite what was said above, it's confusing for cyclists and pedestrians because many local authorities allow cycle access to what look like footpaths. Pedestrians often don't know where they stand, literally.
Cycling on footpaths is bad PR for cycling but it's got to be said that the greater offence of driving on footpaths is generally ignored by society. Pavement parking is a menace yet is rarely highlighted as such by the sort of newspapers who like to rant about 'Lycra louts' cycling on pavements. Ditto for driving and parking in cycle lanes.
Cycling on footways (a pavement at the side of a carriageway) is prohibited by Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888. This is punishable by a fixed penalty notice of £30 under Section 51 and Schedule 3 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.
Cyclists have no right to cycle on a footpath away from the road but only commit an offence where local by-laws or traffic regulation orders create such an offence.

Paul Kitson, partner at cyclist-friendly solicitor Russell, Jones and Walker of London says: "There may also be offences committed in relation to 'walkways' (which is a footpath under a walkway agreement) under Section 35 of the Highways Act 1980. However, the conditions on which these can be ridden is dependent on local council bye-laws, which vary from council to council."
HOWARD PEEL ADDS:
It is important to note that most legislation relating to 'cycling on footpaths' actually relates to the riding of cycles on a 'footway set aside for the use of pedestrians' which runs alongside a road. For example, the 'fixed penalties' brought in a few years ago do NOT apply to country footpaths where there is no road. Fixed penalty notices also cannot be applied to areas such as parks, shopping precincts etc. unless a byelaw has been passed making cycling such areas an offence, nor do they apply to anyone under 16. Many people (including police officers) seem to think that 'a footpath is a footpath' wherever it is and that the same laws apply. This is not the case.
The primary legislation which makes cycling on a footway an offence is section 72 of the 1835 Highways Act, this provides that a person shall be guilty of an offence if he "shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway."
Section 85 of the Local Government Act 1888 extended the definition of "carriage" to include "bicycles, tricycles, velocipedes and other similar machines."
The object of Section 72 Highways Act 1835 was intended not to protect all footpaths, but only footpaths or causeways by the side of a road, and that this is still the case has been ruled in the high court. The legislation makes no exceptions for small wheeled or children's cycles, so even a child riding on a footway is breaking the law. However, if they are under the age of criminal responsibility they cannot, of course, face prosecution.
On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. At the time Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:
"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."
Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by 'Community Support Officers' and wardens.
"CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.
I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I found the same documentation. Interestingly enough I got a slap on the wrist from a police officer the day before the ride in question (for riding about 10 yards on a pavement), thus I was very aware of the legal situation. Also I am not laying this at the door of Sustrans but rather the Sustrans Cycle Leader as stated in the message title.

dellzeqq said:
Sorry about the lengthy cut and paste, but this, I think, is worth reading. The red highlighting sums it up.

It's a wee bit unfair to lay this at the door of Sustrans (checks pulse). Sounds like one individual has lost it a little bit.

CYCLING AND THE LAW

"Can my 11 year old cycle on the pavement?" and "Can I be done for cycling furiously?" and many other legal questions answered.

Many cyclists are afraid of vehicular traffic so cycle on footpaths. While understandable at certain busy intersections and the like, it's very much against the law. If a certain stretch of road is deemed too dangerous to cycle on, choose an alternative route or walk your bike on the dangerous stetch. If you ride on the footpath or footway, you could cop a fine and you'll certainly antagonise pedestrians.
Bicycles are, in law, carriages (as a consequence of the Taylor v Goodwin judgment in 1879) and should be on the highway not footpaths.
However, despite what was said above, it's confusing for cyclists and pedestrians because many local authorities allow cycle access to what look like footpaths. Pedestrians often don't know where they stand, literally.
Cycling on footpaths is bad PR for cycling but it's got to be said that the greater offence of driving on footpaths is generally ignored by society. Pavement parking is a menace yet is rarely highlighted as such by the sort of newspapers who like to rant about 'Lycra louts' cycling on pavements. Ditto for driving and parking in cycle lanes.
Cycling on footways (a pavement at the side of a carriageway) is prohibited by Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888. This is punishable by a fixed penalty notice of £30 under Section 51 and Schedule 3 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.
Cyclists have no right to cycle on a footpath away from the road but only commit an offence where local by-laws or traffic regulation orders create such an offence.

Paul Kitson, partner at cyclist-friendly solicitor Russell, Jones and Walker of London says: "There may also be offences committed in relation to 'walkways' (which is a footpath under a walkway agreement) under Section 35 of the Highways Act 1980. However, the conditions on which these can be ridden is dependent on local council bye-laws, which vary from council to council."
HOWARD PEEL ADDS:
It is important to note that most legislation relating to 'cycling on footpaths' actually relates to the riding of cycles on a 'footway set aside for the use of pedestrians' which runs alongside a road. For example, the 'fixed penalties' brought in a few years ago do NOT apply to country footpaths where there is no road. Fixed penalty notices also cannot be applied to areas such as parks, shopping precincts etc. unless a byelaw has been passed making cycling such areas an offence, nor do they apply to anyone under 16. Many people (including police officers) seem to think that 'a footpath is a footpath' wherever it is and that the same laws apply. This is not the case.
The primary legislation which makes cycling on a footway an offence is section 72 of the 1835 Highways Act, this provides that a person shall be guilty of an offence if he "shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway."
Section 85 of the Local Government Act 1888 extended the definition of "carriage" to include "bicycles, tricycles, velocipedes and other similar machines."
The object of Section 72 Highways Act 1835 was intended not to protect all footpaths, but only footpaths or causeways by the side of a road, and that this is still the case has been ruled in the high court. The legislation makes no exceptions for small wheeled or children's cycles, so even a child riding on a footway is breaking the law. However, if they are under the age of criminal responsibility they cannot, of course, face prosecution.
On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. At the time Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:
"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."
Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by 'Community Support Officers' and wardens.
"CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.
I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That almost makes it sound as if the pathways that don't run beside roads aren't covered by that act. Which may be the ones that cyclists find useful joining up different areas.

Out of interest in the original group would you of said that there was anyone of a very nervous disposition?

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
There were several inexperienced cyclists which is why I was amazed at the choice of route in the first place. Whether or not they were of a nervous disposition I could not say.
summerdays said:
Out of interest in the original group would you of said that there was anyone of a very nervous disposition?

I can see some reasons for cycling on the Pavement!

Let me clarify that......

I attend occasional courses that mean I have to use the A32 between Fareham and Wickham. This is a bad road, speed limits ignored and a blind corner which everyone takes too fast and then cuts in to the kerb as they "overcook" and see the oncoming traffic.

Alongside is a wide pavement that is unsused (it is actually a sccle track for about 20 yards at one point)

In this case there is some merit in pavement cycling!

However busy pavements in towns and pedestrian areas are a definite NO!

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
In that case you would probably be OK under the discretionary powers highlighted earlier. However you still know that it is actually illegal but choose the lesser of two evils.

Cunobelin said:
I can see some reasons for cycling on the Pavement!

Let me clarify that......

I attend occasional courses that mean I have to use the A32 between Fareham and Wickham. This is a bad road, speed limits ignored and a blind corner which everyone takes too fast and then cuts in to the kerb as they "overcook" and see the oncoming traffic.

Alongside is a wide pavement that is unsused (it is actually a sccle track for about 20 yards at one point)

In this case there is some merit in pavement cycling!

However busy pavements in towns and pedestrian areas are a definite NO!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've seen people cycle along the footpath alongside York Road in Wandsworth, and, to be honest, you can see their point. Still n' all the vast majority of pavement cycling is by young men on BMX bikes on streets that are not in the least intimidating. I'm afraid that I do call out 'oi, f**kwit, ride on the road' as I pass them.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I can not believe it. A friend of mine went along to another Sunday ride from the same location (Rhondda Heritage Park) and was astounded to find the same leader taking the exact same route including riding on pavements. In his group he had at least one cyclist who was unsteady on a bike (the the point of bumping into walls etc). I know that some will say the pavement is the lesser of two evils but there was no reason for that route to be used at all as the park is a virtual hub for non-road routes suitable for cyclists of all abilities. The Leader seems to want to flaunt the law because he is "in charge".

Angelfishsolo said:
I can not believe it. A friend of mine went along to another Sunday ride from the same location (Rhondda Heritage Park) and was astounded to find the same leader taking the exact same route including riding on pavements. In his group he had at least one cyclist who was unsteady on a bike (the the point of bumping into walls etc). I know that some will say the pavement is the lesser of two evils but there was no reason for that route to be used at all as the park is a virtual hub for non-road routes suitable for cyclists of all abilities. The Leader seems to want to flaunt the law because he is "in charge".

If the rider is not competent, they should stay off the roads until they achieve a minimum standard. Using the pavement as an alternative is not an option.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thank you very much. I am now a National Standards Cycle Instructor and find this approach unbelievable, especially after he was warned about it previously. (In fact I have just found out that the Leader in question was making remarks about me reporting him whilst cycling on the pavement yesterday!!!)
very-near said:
If the rider is not competent, they should stay off the roads until they achieve a minimum standard. Using the pavement as an alternative is not an option.

Top Bottom