Sustrans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
dellzeqq said:
Danny - you protest too much! All we're saying is that they have a talent for contriving routes that are.......wiggly.

Well I wish they would put some wiggles in my commuting route:sad: Most of which is three miles along an old railway line that is so straight any Roman would be proud.;)

Even though it is the most direct route I sometimes take the road just for some excitement.

Norm

marinyork said:
Which you might have seen anyway, it's the start of an NCN. In it you can see a teeny weeny sticker on a lamp post whereas the most prominent cycling signing is the no cycling sign.
I hadn't seen the NCN sticker... and still can't, but I guess that shows how small it is. ;)

Danny

Legendary Member
Hilldodger said:
Well I wish they would put some wiggles in my commuting route:sad: Most of which is three miles along an old railway line that is so straight any Roman would be proud.;)

Even though it is the most direct route I sometimes take the road just for some excitement.
As well as being too wiggly in places and too straight in others, it should also be pointed out that some Sustrans routes suffer from being too flat while others are far too steep (at least for my legs). They just can't get anything right.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well if it is too straight they could always add barriers every so often, they've even done this on a section up this way, I'd say it is more frustrating than adding interest to the route though ;).

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
My experience of sustrans routes are sections of the Western parts of NCN 71 & 72. In the main I'm rather impressed. The route from Egremont to Whitehaven is a nice 2m wide old railway line which is more direct and less hilly than the road and a brand new section next to the A595 is nice, well surfaced and easy to useand also helps reduce traffic jams on the main road next to it as a lot of queueing is caused by cars following bikes up the hill.

They are not perfect, and round here have a habit of looping into towns instead of following the main road straight on, but as an extra piece of cycling space they seem reasonably well thought out.

Top Bottom