Sustrans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
53°23'3.8"N 1°27'39.75"W copy those into google maps exactly as you would an address and have a look at streetview.

That's the sort of thing I'm on about (and no, it's not actually changed since the imagery was taken which was a while back).

Danny

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
Well you can talk about city centre stuff if you want, it's included in my examples.

Thefts/vandalisms is harder to sort out. Fortunately cabling thefts etc that has hit the city centre routes here seems to have been resolved for the present.
I am not sure there is much point.

You fundamentally disagree with with Sustrans so will find fault in anything they do.

marinyork

Danny said:
I am not sure there is much point.

You fundamentally disagree with with Sustrans so will find fault in anything they do.

I disagree with their philosophy and their wastage. If they did things better and stopped trying to hinder other cycling efforts I wouldn't have a problem with them. That's very different from what you're saying and I would point out that as so often on these boards you become quite resentful of others with similar background interests and try and spin out a politburo version of either cycle campaigning/Labour party politics. Just because you're chums with someone doesn't mean you follow every thing they say loyally forever.

snorri

Legendary Member
Danny said:
Sustrans is still largely reliant on volunteers to maintain things like signing, so I guess the service can be variable in different areas of Britain.

Volunteers only maintain sections of route which are owned or leased by Sustrans. In my part of the country maintenance of all cycle routes is the responsibility of the local authority or trunk road authority.

Danny said:
In any case it is a myth to say that Sustrans is trying to segregate cyclists from cars. As others have said the vast majority of the national cycle network goes along existing roads. Where they have built off-road routes these generally provide an alternative to busy main roads - cyclists can still choose which they prefer to go on.

No doubt they can, for the moment. How long that happy state of affairs will last when Sustrans has publicised cycling as something best done away from traffic is anyone's guess.

Norm

marinyork said:
53°23'3.8"N 1°27'39.75"W copy those into google maps exactly as you would an address and have a look at streetview.

That's the sort of thing I'm on about (and no, it's not actually changed since the imagery was taken which was a while back).
Tried that and can't see what point you are trying to make. Lots of buses, lorries and stationary traffic, though.

Can you hit the "link" button top right hand corner and show us exactly what you are looking at. It'll give something like this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=OLjl_nJQlv7ESlslH3jhOw&cbp=12,80.19,,0,17.06

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if any of you ever go to a Sustrans rally be prepared for something distinctly 'ol' time religion'. Grimshaw calls women from the audience to testify on the dangers of roads. Interesting.........

they're now far more in to consultancy, producing papers on sustainable development, some of which are not all bad - but, spookily, there's a real lack of ambition about the ones I've read. Sort of rus in urbe with mixed use surfaces and cycle paths

dellzeqq said:
if any of you ever go to a Sustrans rally be prepared for something distinctly 'ol' time religion'. Grimshaw calls women from the audience to testify on the dangers of roads. Interesting.........

Interesting indeed. I can't see any benefits in having a campaigning organisation effectively promoting the dangers of cycling and offering to keep out of everyone's way.

wafflycat

dellzeqq said:

Do you think I should attend one? :rolleyes:

Danny

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
No doubt they can, for the moment. How long that happy state of affairs will last when Sustrans has publicised cycling as something best done away from traffic is anyone's guess.
Sustrans are not "publicising cycling as something best done away from traffic" - they are offering alternatives to people who prefer not to cycle on busy main roads.

Suggesting that Sustrans are party of some conspiracy to stop people cycling on normal roads is pure paranoia.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Danny said:
Sustrans are not "publicising cycling as something best done away from traffic" - they are offering alternatives to people who prefer not to cycle on busy main roads.

Suggesting that Sustrans are party of some conspiracy to stop people cycling on normal roads is pure paranoia.
Danny - you protest too much! All we're saying is that they have a talent for contriving routes that are.......wiggly.

Danny said:

Oh, I don't think there's an active conspiracy, not at all. But any organisation whose rationale is to build a dedicated network of roads for cyclists is indirectly promoting the view that bicyles are not for road use. Which I'm afraid I see as an enormous backward step; I'd sooner see them campaigning for better awareness of bicycles as legitimate road users, like the CTC do.

wafflycat

Rhythm Thief said:
Oh, I don't think there's an active conspiracy, not at all. But any organisation whose rationale is to build a dedicated network of roads for cyclists is indirectly promoting the view that bicyles are not for road use. Which I'm afraid I see as an enormous backward step; I'd sooner see them campaigning for better awareness of bicycles as legitimate road users, like the CTC do.

+1

marinyork

Norm said:
Tried that and can't see what point you are trying to make. Lots of buses, lorries and stationary traffic, though.

Can you hit the "link" button top right hand corner and show us exactly what you are looking at. It'll give something like this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=OLjl_nJQlv7ESlslH3jhOw&cbp=12,80.19,,0,17.06

Cool strangely enough I didn't know how to do that before.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...id=F2ZjI9fHoQzqwphPP8PrTw&cbp=12,124.4,,0,9.3

Which you might have seen anyway, it's the start of an NCN. In it you can see a teeny weeny sticker on a lamp post whereas the most prominent cycling signing is the no cycling sign.

If you switch to satellite you can clearly see http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...4247,-1.459725&spn=0.001157,0.003484&t=h&z=19 where it goes.

Top Bottom