Sutherland tour pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We didn't camp and we rode for 6 days. I'm not tough enough for that!
The inverness to tain bit is actually OK if you go the short way over the black isle, and cross the A9 to dingwall and then up over the tops towards alness. We went around the coast through invergordon etc to tain and it was really quite nice.

saoirse50

Veteran
I'm not tough either- just slow so I need to be up and on the road very early when I'm touring! Camping is the best way to do it without annoying other people in b and b's or hostels. That's what I find anyway. Also, I am not a terribly well organised person and would not be able to arrange accomodation and be sure of getting to it on time.
Thanks to your lovely photos, I have been planning my trip this pm- up the West side from Glasgow via a few islands and then back up the mainland as far as Laxford Bridge only this time then back down to inverness.
Only wish I could do it in May- much better for so many reasons than August.

saoirse50 said:
I'm not tough either- just slow so I need to be up and on the road very early when I'm touring! Camping is the best way to do it without annoying other people in b and b's or hostels. That's what I find anyway. Also, I am not a terribly well organised person and would not be able to arrange accomodation and be sure of getting to it on time.
Thanks to your lovely photos, I have been planning my trip this pm- up the West side from Glasgow via a few islands and then back up the mainland as far as Laxford Bridge only this time then back down to inverness.
Only wish I could do it in May- much better for so many reasons than August.

The road from Laxford Bridge to Inverness was the best bit! Hope you have a great time.

bikie said:
Great photos kirstie. I would love to tour up there sometime, I have never been beyond Ullapool. Not too many cars up there I bet.

You'd be surprised. There aren't that many cars, but the roads up in sutherland are hailed in all of the petrolhead magazines as being some of the best driving roads in britain. Cue several pricks ragging their fast cars around the place, passing too close etc. The best was some twat in an Audi RX8 who nearly ran us off the road. Motorbikes are bad too. There are actually holiday companies who run weekends - you pay a tonne of money to stay in a castle up there and then have your choice of sports car to blast around the place in. it was like there was an imaginary line at kylesku and they all appeared.

So you still have to beware of the speeding pricks.

Top Bottom