Sutherland tour pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kirstie said:
There's no midgies in April though! We nearly didn't go when we saw the forecast, which was for freezing temperatures and snow. It was like that for the first half day, and then it just cleared up into glorious weather. We definitely pulled a fast one weather-wise and have used up some of the weather-karma bank account!

Ssshh. Don't tell anyone, April is often one of the most settled months in the Highlands and no midgies.

Noodley

Crackle said:
Ssshh. Don't tell anyone, April is often one of the most settled months in the Highlands and no midgies.

Snow from September til April.
Midgies from May til August.

:tongue::smile::tongue:

And wind all year long....

Kirstie, it deserved it's own thread.

Was going to praise your piccies but ... however, I particularly like numbers 20 - 26 (or so) no matter who took them.

jay clock

Massive member
Excellent. Really lovely pics. You look different from your profile pic though!

Also I think you really should follow the lead of me and Cathryn by logging onto crazyguyonabike and giving us a full report!

jay clock said:
Excellent. Really lovely pics. You look different from your profile pic though!

Also I think you really should follow the lead of me and Cathryn by logging onto crazyguyonabike and giving us a full report!

On my next tour I'll do a full reconstruction of my profile pic to prove that it really is me! :thumbsdown:

I had thought about crazyguy but the thing is my job involves a lot of writing - so writing about the thing I do to get away from it all and escape the job and other life crap doesn't appeal. It just makes it feel like 'work' again. I started to write up my LEJOG last year but the act of writing about it detracted from the pleasure of actually doing it...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Fantastic - I'll have at least a day or two cycling up there again in May... but not exactly touring. My wife and some friends are driving up there, so I thought I would just tag along and use them to carry my stuff! It does mean I can go as fast as I like for once!

Flying_Monkey said:
It does mean I can go as fast as I like for once!

sorry if we held you up last time...

Flying_Monkey said:
Not at all - it's more the luggage!

LOL - lucky you. When we were riding the 'road of death' - towards the really steep bits at the end, getting very tired, coming in the other direction, into the wind, with a big grin on his face was a 70 year old guy on a proper road bike (no luggage) looking as fresh as a daisy. They are hard up there...!

Danny

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
If anyone is interested the route was:
1. Inverness - Tain via black isle, alness and invergordon
2. Tain - Bonar Bridge via Strath rusdale
3. Bonar Bridge - lochinver
4. Lochinvar - Rhiconich via coast road
5. Rhiconich - Carbisdale
6. Carbisdale - Inverness via dingwall and muir of ord
Amazing scenary - how long did it take you to do?

And did you camp?

saoirse50

Veteran
Thanks Kirstie- and hello everyone- i'm new to cyclechat.
Kirstie, you have just helped me decide on my destination this summer- I will be back up to the NW of Scotland again. I had been toying with the idea of an Irish Mizzen to Malin but your pics reminded me of how much I love that part of scotland and how much I have been missing it. So will revise kit list to include several bottles of Skin So Soft which which to murder the midges. If I wasn't a teacher and forced to take holidays in prime midge months I, too, would go earlier or later.
Your route was similar to the middle bit of my round Scotlands coast trip I did a few years back. I had intended to take the Nigg ferry from the Cromarty to avoid the Alness Tain bit and make it possible to ride from inverness to Helmsdale or thereabouts comfortably in a day- I foolishly neglected to check if the ferry was running- it wasn't, due to the wind, which I then had to ride into all the way along the coast, adding quite a number of miles to the day's ride. I think it made it a hundred miler in the end. I am not ashamed to admit I was shattered, but luckily there was a hostel in Helmsdale so I didn't have to put up the tent that night-

Top Bottom