Suunto Spartan Trainer watch - anyone using one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I like the idea of a genuine multi-sports watch to replace my pre-love Garmin Fenix 2 but fear the jump from Garmin gear which I've been using for donkeys years. Whilst I don't need the full-on swimming features I do the odd dualthlon.

The attraction of the Spartan Trainer is the price / features package with the huge plus, to me at any rate, that it is slim enough to wear as a normal watch and can be setup to display the time on a traditional analogue dial

huwsparky

Über Member
Can't help you with the Suunto but I do like my Fenix 3. Can also download different watch faces, quite like the analogue look myself? Battery also lasts about 9 days in watch mode.

I have had an Ambit3 for 2 and a half years which, despite niggles with having to reconnect the app and watch manually to get it to sync, has been a thoroughly impressive product - very reliable GPS, good build quality, a website and software combination that means you can actually create and follow a route... See DC Rainmaker's review of the Spartan Trainer here.

Unless Garmin sort out their route creation software (and they have made progress in the last few weeks as I've found for my Edge 520), allow me to use my Mio Link HR monitor when pool swimming and produce a Fenix/935 like watch for under £300 then my next watch will be a Spartan Trainer.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Something I’ve been thinking about myself, ready to sell off my Garmin Edge 810 and my 230 watch. Replace both with a either the Suuntu or a Fenix. I do running and cycling now , like the idea of a watch. Just a pity they are bleedin expensive !!!

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4963596, member: 45"]Has the Fenix expired, or are you just upgrading?[/QUOTE]
Fenix going strong. I just fancy a watch I can wear when not exercising without looking like special forces ;)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
What did you plump for then in the end ? Still procrastinating here, over what to buy. My Forerunner 230 seems to stop syncing with my iPhone from time to time. Got to restart it to work. My Edge 810 is very robust now but a watch that did all would be my choice. Wrist HR would be preferential but do wonder if they are really worth it ? A HRM strap is more accurate reading various opinions. Like the look of some of the Suuntu watches but the Fenix are a hell of expensive in comparison !

Top Bottom