Swallow, Swift & Martin watch 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Not Hirundine related so off topic but Chiffchaffs have been singing for a few days now.

tom73

Guru
No sign of our resident house martins yet. Or any in the area yet will let them off though it's not like they live round the corner.
[QUOTE 5577716, member: 9609"]Curlews are back up on the moor and Oystercatches are back up the river - but non of the classic migratories yet.
Goldeneye have gone and geese are dissapearing.[/QUOTE]

Nothing like hearing curlews on the moors alone with a lapwing or two for good measure.

classic33

Leg End Member
Having moved house fairly recently, I'm afraid I will no longer be entertained on summer evenings by the housemartins that used to nest under the eaves of the old house. I used to love watching them
Not seen them, in what used to be their regular places, in years.

The Canada Geese & heron are still about. As are the owls, although there's fewer species year on year. LED lighting having gone in on the streets, I'm expecting a further decline in numbers.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not seen them, in what used to be their regular places, in years.

The Canadian Geese & heron are still about. As are the owls, although there's fewer species year on year. LED lighting having gone in on the streets, I'm expecting a further decline in numbers.
I lived in that house for 16 yrs , they nested every summer. Used to get swifts and swallows flying about too. They will again this summer, no doubt, but I don't live in that house any more :-)

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5577818, member: 9609"]It has to be one of the most wonderful of bird calls, I was treated just a few nights ago whilst cycling just after sun down on a perfectly still evening. I stopped for about 10 minutes just listening to them - just wonderful, great they are back for the summer[/QUOTE]
Thats something we used to really enjoy when we had the caravan on Anglesey, a lovely sound.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've often thought that while birdsong is generally lovely, they're basically telling each other 'oy, this is my tree' or 'anyone fancy a quick sh*g?'
Here, the Daily Mash takes up that theme :laugh:

bluenotebob

Veteran
The first swallows arrived here today - a couple of photos below

I know one doesn't "make a summer" but it reinforces the feeling that Spring is here to stay. We also heard the first cuckoo this morning too

First swallow 01042019 pic 2.JPG
First swallow 01042019 pic 3.JPG

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Saw a swallow here yesterday, I don't think I've ever seen one in March before. I was sat in a bird hide on the Fen and it swooped over a pool for a drink a couple of times and then headed north. Looked to me to be on passage still, rather than local. I always wonder what sights they must have seen since leaving last Autumn to now flying past me and my bicycle in rural Cambs. Incredible birds.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Is there a way to stop them nesting in my car port at all? I really like wildlife, but they just sh1t all over everything. I would never harm them, ever. Just wondered if there is any simple prevention?

Top Bottom