Swapping components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After doing the Devon CC ride yesterday i've come away with new ideas (thanks to Chuffy) My touring bike which is a standard Ridgeback Panorama is to big for me and after chatting with Chuffy i quite fancy doing some of the Audax rides so my question is - if i buy an Audax frame can i just swap all the kit from my tourer onto it to get me started ? it seems like an ideal oppurtunity to get a bike with the correct size frame which i can still use for some light touring and audax rides

Simon

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Yes.

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Thank you HJ .. i'l start looking at Audax frames then
rolleyes.gif

Simon

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I am no expert on Audax frames but this looks like good value...

Although it is probable a good idea at this stage to get your self measured up with some thing like Bike Fit and check the geometry is right for you, also it means you can get components which are the right size (bars, stem, cranks, etc) for you. After all if you are building a custom bike you might as well take the opportunity to make sure ever thing is the right size for you.

Bwahahahaha!!!! :evil:

Don't get too hung up on having a specific audax bike, you can audax on anything so long as it's comfy.

Having said that, there's this from Ribble which costs a ridiculous £86 (plus another £51 for the fork). :eek:

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Bwahahahaha!!!! :evil:
Don't get too hung up on having a specific audax bike, you can audax on anything so long as it's comfy.

Whilst the Panorama is comfy it weighs in at around 30lb (my MTB is lighter) and the fact that its an XL frame, if i can get the correct size frame for me and have a bike that will cope with the type of small tours that i want to do and be lighter for some Audax rides then it seems like a win win situation .. i just need to convince Mrs Muddyfox of that now
wink.gif

HJ .. funnily enough i was looking at that Tifosi frame on the Fatbirds website earlier and they do a proper measuring service if you buy the bike from them

Simon

Ah hah! So this basically an excuse to go shopping? :laugh:

Might be worth asking your LBS - they often have odd frames knocking around and I daresay if you buy one from them they could be persuaded to do the build for you.

P.H

Über Member
Compatability;

Wheels, the touring frame will be spaced for a MTB size 135mm hub and an Audax frame for the 130mm road size.  Some steel frames are built 132.5 to accommodate either, it's possible to reset other steel frames, Aluminium frames are best used as intended.  Your touring rims are probably best used with tyres no narrower than 28mm, that's not a bad size for Audax if the frame can accommodate them.  Some, like the ribble won't.  Your touring wheels will also be quite heavy, lighter wheels and tyres will make more difference than the frame.

Mudguards, if you have wide ones they may not fit a frame with tighter clearances.

Brakes, you'll need dual pivot brakes, an Audax frame won't have the fittings for cantis.

Front mech, the band is sometimes specific to the diameter of the of the seat tube, other's have a cam for adjustment.

Seatpost may not fit.

Weight, if you move everything over you're not going to save much, frame only makes up around 20% of the bike weight.  Worth changing for size, though if it's just a bit out you could look at how to change position, (Stem. bars, seatpost) to get it right.  An Audax frame will feel sharper, and handle faster though over the length of an Audax the time advantage will be minimal.  I have a lovely Ti Sportive and a Tank of a Thorn Rohloff, the difference over 200k will be less than 30 min, I could easily make that up by being more organised in controls.  Though noticing you're in Devon, the hillier the ride the greater that difference will be.

If the Panorama is tidy, it might be worth selling complete and starting afresh, worth doing the research.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Compatability;

Wheels, the touring frame will be spaced for a MTB size 135mm hub and an Audax frame for the 130mm road size. Some steel frames are built 132.5 to accommodate either, it's possible to reset other steel frames, Aluminium frames are best used as intended. Your touring rims are probably best used with tyres no narrower than 28mm, that's not a bad size for Audax if the frame can accommodate them. Some, like the ribble won't. Your touring wheels will also be quite heavy, lighter wheels and tyres will make more difference than the frame.

Mudguards, if you have wide ones they may not fit a frame with tighter clearances.

Brakes, you'll need dual pivot brakes, an Audax frame won't have the fittings for cantis.

Front mech, the band is sometimes specific to the diameter of the of the seat tube, other's have a cam for adjustment.

Seatpost may not fit.

Weight, if you move everything over you're not going to save much, frame only makes up around 20% of the bike weight. Worth changing for size, though if it's just a bit out you could look at how to change position, (Stem. bars, seatpost) to get it right. An Audax frame will feel sharper, and handle faster though over the length of an Audax the time advantage will be minimal. I have a lovely Ti Sportive and a Tank of a Thorn Rohloff, the difference over 200k will be less than 30 min, I could easily make that up by being more organised in controls. Though noticing you're in Devon, the hillier the ride the greater that difference will be.

If the Panorama is tidy, it might be worth selling complete and starting afresh, worth doing the research.

+1. Great catches and wise words indeed IMO.

Additionally, if the chain stays are different in length new or shortened chain may be needed. Depending on the frame the existing bottom bracket also might not fit.

Top Bottom