Swapping cranks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

morts

I've just got my old mountain bike back from my dad to use for commuting but the gearing is too low.

It's an old dyna-tech running stx-rc and is quite considerably lighter than my current £100 falcon but it has a compact chainset with 22-32-42 chain rings. I really want the gearing to make use of the downhill sections on my commute. I was hoping to use the 28-38-48 chainset from my falcon but was stopped by the different spindle length. The bottom bracket is 112.5mm on the dyna-tech where as the falcons cup and bearing setup is 122.5.

Can anyone suggest a cheap crank i could use instead that would work with the shorter spindle? I don't want to replace the bottom bracket as it works well and i don't have the tool for it. There is plenty of room for a 28t chain ring if it was in the same position as the one on the stx-rc crank. The falcons chain rings stick in a long way only because of the long cheap old spindle. It was a 15 speed bike so i can't see why it have the chain ring in so far and be mounted out so far!! I thought 122mm spindles were for 24 and 27 speed bikes.

I don't have the time to look around on-line or drop into a shop which is why i've come here.

I'm on a budget and already have to replace the cassette due to the highest gear being shot and the chain is way past it's best so riveted cranks are fine as long as they will go on and line up. i tend to change gear rarely and in plenty of time so shifting performance is not high on my list.

Thanks.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
[

I don't have the time to look around on-line or drop into a shop which is why i've come here.

So you expect everyone else to spend their time to look for you. Maybe you are on the wrong forum!

peanut

do you expect us to do your searching for you .? We are busy too
I hope that your comment was just a case of not thinking about about what you are saying ?

Your best bet is to get your Dad to take your bike into your local bike shop for them to advise you. They will do it for free too.:smile:

OP
OP
M

morts

Nice forum this.

You have obviously taken it that i can't be bothered which is not the case.

I help out on forums when i have time where i have knowledge (motorbikes and cars mostly) in that particular area and would never put up the replies you two just have. Some people have time to problem solve and some don't which is why forums are good because people that have the time or have past experience can pass it on. At least that's what i thought.

I've been out of the biking world for a while and was hoping someone may have been in a similar situation and could give me quick answer.

My job means that i can't get to a shop and my spare time in the evenings is not enough to even get started on internet searches.

I pretty much work and sleep due a to a failed business some slack would have been nice!!

unbelieveable! in all the years i have been online i have never.....

OP
OP
M

morts

Please someone other than these two useless tossers reply they can't be the only people on this forum.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Look back in the forum matey. Peanut and I have answered more questions than you've had the proverbials. A little more effort to help yourself before expecting others to do the research for you would have met with a better response.

This forum is the most helpful cycling forum on the internet, but please don't try to extract the water.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Gerry, Peanut: why did you bother commenting at all? If you nothing useful to say best keep it yourselves eh? New users to the forum don't need a pair of wise arses like you. anyway

Its gonna be hard to find a cheap replacement crank of the right size. The cheapest and easiest way to do this, is to put the BB from the fAlcon onto the other bike, OR buy a new BB which would cost about a tenner. but then you'll need the tools to fit it.

bonj2

morts said:
I've just got my old mountain bike back from my dad to use for commuting but the gearing is too low.

It's an old dyna-tech running stx-rc and is quite considerably lighter than my current £100 falcon but it has a compact chainset with 22-32-42 chain rings. I really want the gearing to make use of the downhill sections on my commute. I was hoping to use the 28-38-48 chainset from my falcon but was stopped by the different spindle length. The bottom bracket is 112.5mm on the dyna-tech where as the falcons cup and bearing setup is 122.5.

Can anyone suggest a cheap crank i could use instead that would work with the shorter spindle? I don't want to replace the bottom bracket as it works well and i don't have the tool for it. There is plenty of room for a 28t chain ring if it was in the same position as the one on the stx-rc crank. The falcons chain rings stick in a long way only because of the long cheap old spindle. It was a 15 speed bike so i can't see why it have the chain ring in so far and be mounted out so far!! I thought 122mm spindles were for 24 and 27 speed bikes.

I'm on a budget and already have to replace the cassette due to the highest gear being shot and the chain is way past it's best so riveted cranks are fine as long as they will go on and line up. i tend to change gear rarely and in plenty of time so shifting performance is not high on my list.

Thanks.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...2-32-44-Square-Taper-Triple-Chainset-9950.htm

^^ this says it's for 110mm BB. May work may not - send SJS cycles an email. In any case they're probably your best bet, they are usually the best online place to come up trumps for any obscure/unusual/specific parts.

took 5 seconds to find that. you've done the hard part, taking measurements and collating information about what you need. you just have to then plug that in.

bonj2

Steve Austin said:
Gerry, Peanut: why did you bother commenting at all? If you nothing useful to say best keep it yourselves eh? New users to the forum don't need a pair of wise arses like you. anyway

Its gonna be hard to find a cheap replacement crank of the right size. The cheapest and easiest way to do this, is to put the BB from the fAlcon onto the other bike, OR buy a new BB which would cost about a tenner. but then you'll need the tools to fit it.

it has to be said i agree with Steve that it would be better just to get the tool to change the BB then you can have a much better choice of cranks.
My motto is if you need to do a job which requires a tool, buy that tool. As opposed to trying to find a way of skirting round having to do the job. It'll only be more rewarding in the long run.

peanut

Steve Austin said:

wow that was really helpful Steve :smile:

op has already said they don't want to replace the BB as they haven't the time or the tools . Did we read the post then ?:smile:

Any new member that uses the kind of insulting language that the OP uses in their second post whilst requesting the help of members isn't going to get much consideration anywhere.

My suggestion is if he/she hasn't enough time to search on the net they certainly are not going to have the time to cycle are they ?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
That a pretty big hole you're stood in Peanut. would you like to put the shovel down, be fore you get any deeper.
The OP posed a perfectly reasonable question, in a section of the board for helpful folk to answer.

I won't debate it here further

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Gerry, I don't give a stuff, if i Don't get a card, a present at Xmas, the offer of a lollipop for any advice or comments i make. I do it for free.

My work here is done 'dons cape and flys off to assist other cyclists in need'

peanut

Steve Austin said:
That a pretty big hole you're stood in Peanut. would you like to put the shovel down, be fore you get any deeper.
The OP posed a perfectly reasonable question, in a section of the board for helpful folk to answer.

I won't debate it here further

wind ya neck in steve. I help everyone on here but I take exception to liberty takers.

Top Bottom