Swapping from a road bike to a Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi, So I have been commuting to work (8 miles each way) on my road bike on and off for the last few years. I do enjoy it and I'm pretty fast but I recently had a bit of an eye opener.
I cycle on fast main roads, which although I've never had an incident. isn't "ideal" by any stretch of the imagination.
My colleague recently suggested to me that half my journey can actually be done on the cycle path next to the canal. Cool I thought! that will be a bit different. So I gave it a shot.

Now, to the untrained eye the cycle appears in good condition. But on a road bike....nope.
It was bumpy, lumpy, gritty, and fairly busy. Basically it was a nightmare.

However. I MUCH preferred the scenery and would much rather cycle this route to work. So I think I am going to get myself a hybrid.

The whole head-down, pedal hard, go fast setup of the road bike is fine on a good road. But Jesus. See hopping kerbs, undulating paths, or paths with people and dogs on them. It's just not going to cut the mustard.

So I think I will get a hybrid. Found one on gumtree for £25 which actually looks fine! so will be able to test it out and see if it's the way to go. Has anyone made this swap?

I know I will sacrifice some speed but hey. I really have never been a fan of having my head down in traffic and racing past buses. I think I would rather sit up and enjoy the scenery. Oh and mudguards. being able to have proper mudguards will be lovely!

I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation I'm doing the right thing here. Feel a little bit guilty that im "giving up" but I guess I'm not. I might become less of an obvious cyclist. But I will probably actually burn more calories on this route / bike.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
N+1 needs no excuse.

Personally I would buy two, the £25 hybrid and a cheap single speed too.

Ride what makes you happy and don't try to obtain to justify it to yourself.

Enjoy

I cycle a hybrid, a road bike and a downhill MTB. Personally I prefer the road bike as it has more positions to hold the bars with. No shame in a hybrid but expect it to be a bit more upright so you get battered by the wind and rain in the bad weather.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
I'm going to get this hybrid (essentially looks like a mountain bike with different tires) and see how I go. If I love it then I'll buy a decent one.
I used to mountain bike a lot as a kid and have never, (even in years cycling it) felt as comfortable with the road bike position. (Unless I'm doing 50miles+).
I wakeboard and ride a stand up jetski, so think I am just better suited to a more upright position to feel in control.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
In bad weather I will probably be on the train lol.
If it's just a spot of rain or wind I don't mind. I actually find myself cycling harder to stay warm.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
I'm basically after a bike that makes that incredibly loud squeal when I hit the brakes that will remind me of my childhood in the 90's
And something I can skid the backwheel round the corners with. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Ok so I picked up the bike. She didn't even charge me for it! Its a raleigh max chro mo 3. The last raleigh if I'm not mistaken? The thing is immaculate. Even got half decent running gear! Going to strip it all down tomorrow and service it. I need some suitable hybrid tyres for it. It has 26' wheels. Any suggestions? Looking for something cheap as it's not worth putting Much money in the bike. Even though I'm impressed with it. STX RC components all round. I remember from back in the day they were actually half decent. Everything works smoothly. Don't think it's been used for years. No rust on it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Has anyone made this swap?
Yes. I think your assessment is basically right: you can see more, you sacrifice some speed as a result (aerodynamics suck) and you get proper mudguards.

However, I did then switch from a hybrid to a roadster for slightly more flexibility in riding position (so I can be a bit more aero and so a bit faster when I want to cover less interesting rural stretches) and simpler gearing. And got a folding bike so a sensible bike would actually fit in the car or be acceptable on any train. And then another road bike so I have a full-size bike that can be taken in the car if wanted... :blush: In short, the hybrid was good when I could only store one bike but it now stands idle unless other bikes require repairs.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ok so I picked up the bike. She didn't even charge me for it! Its a raleigh max chro mo 3. The last raleigh if I'm not mistaken? The thing is immaculate. Even got half decent running gear! Going to strip it all down tomorrow and service it. I need some suitable hybrid tyres for it. It has 26' wheels. Any suggestions? Looking for something cheap as it's not worth putting Much money in the bike. Even though I'm impressed with it. STX RC components all round. I remember from back in the day they were actually half decent. Everything works smoothly. Don't think it's been used for years. No rust on it.

Can't go wrong at that price can you?

I've got Schwalbe Land Cruisers on my hybrid - enough grip off road, yet still quick enough on road and cheap as chips (almost)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-land-cruiser-mtb-tyre-2015/

Kominic

Regular
One word.......crossbike. That said, you've made an astonishing purchase (though it looks like you're saying she just gave it to you O_o). £25?? Is it even comfortable to ride??

annirak

Veteran
One word.......crossbike. That said, you've made an astonishing purchase (though it looks like you're saying she just gave it to you O_o). £25?? Is it even comfortable to ride??

I also would have gone for the cross or gravel bike. That said, I'm comfortable in the road position, but the OP says they aren't.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
I also would have gone for the cross or gravel bike. That said, I'm comfortable in the road position, but the OP says they aren't.

Yeah unless i'm doing over 40 miles, I much prefer being upright. Im just at the stage now I would much rather pedal alongside the canal upright than have my head tucked down behind a bus.

I did seriously consider converting my road bike into a gravel bike. But what swung it for me was fitness. As the MTB to hybrid cross will likely be "less efficient" than the Road bike to hybrid cross. I will actually burn more calories and be fitter on the pior. And be able to sit up and enjoy the view.

I'm not a hugely motivated person so I figured that I will likely "keep it up" more if I am enjoying the scenery.

And I still get to keep my road bike as is should I fancy a longer blast.

P.S. What are the most effective mudguards? The big, long, old school looking ones? Not caring about looks, just want the best protection.

If it's got mounts then some decent standard 'guards would probably be best,SKS or Axiom(have the latter on the cross bike and they have been fine).

Another option for that bike is possibly to convert it to say a single chainring set-up in the future(dunno what speed it is?);looks like the chainrings are removable so some single chainring bolts(decide what ring you want to use)plus second-hand XT mech and shifter and you could have an ossum tough 1x10 commuter for very little cash.

Top Bottom