Swapping Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glennbtn

Hi All
I have Specialized mountain bike with tyres 26 x 2.00. I have been trying to find road tyres to fit but can't seem to find anything with that sort of size. Can I fit 26 x 1.95 without an issue or should I be fitting something else.

Any advise would be great, thanks

Glenn

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You don't get that width. Anything from 1.2 to 1.5 will fit fine. The road tyres are a thinner profile - will look a little odd, but you'll have better road speed.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
What width is the rim? I wouldn't be so sure a 1.2" tyre would fit on the same rim as a 2" tyre would. Check with the rim manufacturer, or see what width tyre people have fitted to that width of rim.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What width is the rim? I wouldn't be so sure a 1.2" tyre would fit on the same rim as a 2" tyre would. Check with the rim manufacturer, or see what width tyre people have fitted to that width of rim.

They do ! They look rather odd though ! Done it - made the MTB a road bike catching machine for a while till the fixed was delivered. 1.5 is a better compromise.

paul04

Über Member
Have a look on the halfords website, as sometimes they have offers like buy one get one free, or getting a discount on the second item you buy.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I would agree staying 1.5"+ would be better for compatability.

Something like a Schwalbe City Jet would be a decent place to start :smile:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24629

gentlegreen

I have Mavic EX721 rims on my bike that specify 2.1 inch minimum tyre width, but I've been using Conti Country-plus 1.75" tyres for maybe 5 years now and the measured width is still 1.75".
They stick well and are great on rough / loose surfaces - which accounts for very nearly every surface I ride on - tarmacked or not.
I don't get the most fantastic mileage out of them though. I pump them up to 60PSI and the narrow central ridge of tread gets too thin for my taste after about 12 months / 2,000 miles - so 1p per mile.

MickL

Über Member
I used to use city jets on my old MTB, get set of tyres, only ever got two punctures, a shard of metal and old nail in fours years of use.
I currently use Schwalbe Road Cruiser 26X1.75 as I prefer the comfort for my fat butt on my Subway.

Top Bottom