Sweaty cycling gear in the office...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not one to take it easy on my cycle in to work, and carrying a backpack I'm suffering from sweaty back syndrome. I already opted for the breathable/mesh style padding backpack which hasn't helped, presumably my intensity isn't helping. While my place of work has some great facilities (bike rack, teeny tiny lockers, shower room) there isn't anywhere obvious to hang clothes to dry other than the office coat rack.

I'm conscious that my clothes hanging from the desk is unsightly and might making the office smell, and while colleagues haven't complained yet, I think the time will come...

How do you air your sweaty jersey/shorts out at work without dedicated drying facilities without giving colleague grief?

snorri

Legendary Member
:whistle:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I just hang it up (either by my desk or on the coat rack) I make a point of keeping it separate from other peoples stuff. I've not had any complaints so either it doesn't smell (I've not noticed it) or they are too polite (unlikely but possible). I wear different kit each day and air it at home again in between although it tends to get worn a couple to three times before it gets washed...

Crankarm

Guru
I'm not one to take it easy on my cycle in to work, and carrying a backpack I'm suffering from sweaty back syndrome. I already opted for the breathable/mesh style padding backpack which hasn't helped, presumably my intensity isn't helping. While my place of work has some great facilities (bike rack, teeny tiny lockers, shower room) there isn't anywhere obvious to hang clothes to dry other than the office coat rack.

I'm conscious that my clothes hanging from the desk is unsightly and might making the office smell, and while colleagues haven't complained yet, I think the time will come...

How do you air your sweaty jersey/shorts out at work without dedicated drying facilities without giving colleague grief?

You are gross. Do you have no consideration for your fellow workers? What impression does it give should senior managers or clients or others visit your premises? I would put a stop to you hanging your smelly cycling kit if you hung it anywhere where I worked. Get your self a rack and panniers, a dry bag / plastic bag to put your sweaty wet jerseys shorts etc when you change out of them when you arrive at work. Take a 2nd set of clean dry kit to change into for your ride home. Jeese!

robjh

Legendary Member
You are gross. Do you have no consideration for your fellow workers? What impression does it give should senior managers or clients or others visit your premises? I would put a stop to you hanging your smelly cycling kit if you hung it anywhere where I worked. Get your self a rack and panniers, a dry bag / plastic bag to put your sweaty wet jerseys shorts etc when you change out of them when you arrive at work. Take a 2nd set of clean dry kit to change into for your ride home. Jeese!
One of the pitfalls of internet forums is that people may not be sure if you're being ironic or not.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
One of the pitfalls of internet forums is that people may not be sure if you're being ironic or not.
Yeah but it's Crankarm - most people are pretty sure he's just being a cockwomble :smile:

People here just leave kit hanging on the coathook at the back of the toilet door, or on the coat hangers. As Ianrauk pointed out, as long as its clean kit every day, the fresh sweat wont be around long enough to cause a whiff... it's old stale sweat that pongs.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm not sure Cranky does ironic, just obnoxious! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't like it if someone was hanging up sweaty sports gear to dry in a professional office but then I am lucky and our facilities at work have a rack in the changing/locker room where we can hang stuff over a radiator. The downside is that it can get a bit whiffy, I'm not sure everybody wears freshly washed kit everyday xx(

KneesUp

Guru
Does anyone else use the shower? If not I'd rinse them in the shower whilst I was in it, and leave them to drip dry in the cubicle. Bring clean cycling clothes to go home in and s and a plastic bag for the morning ones. Stick both sets in the wash when you get home.

robjh

Legendary Member
Does anyone else use the shower? If not I'd rinse them in the shower whilst I was in it, and leave them to drip dry in the cubicle. Bring clean cycling clothes to go home in and s and a plastic bag for the morning ones. Stick both sets in the wash when you get home.
That's a lot of clothing and a lot of washing, and more than I personally could be a**sed with.

Back to the OP : if the employer has installed showers and some kind of lockers then they're probably quite reasonable, and couldn't @dutchcyclist just approach them and explain the smelly clothes problem, and see if they will put a rack in the shower room? That does the trick at my workplace.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Reckon you need some panniers perhaps?

This is on my wish list, but getting a road bike has been my priority up to now but the main problem with this is...

Fresh sweat and a wicking cycling jersey, shouldn't smell when hung up to dry, even when soaked.
Make sure you change your cycling gear every day.

They don't smell too bad when hung out, but if stuffed in a bag/drawers, when the time comes to change I'm humming on the way out, which is arguably worse then slight odor when hung up to dry in the office!

:B)

Panniers would be great then I can easily carry in a spare jersey and just leave my damp stuff in a sealed bag. I guess I just need a short term solution. Ideally though I don't want to have to buy loads of spare gear and lug it around.

Top Bottom