Sweaty Head?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Another vote for the buff. Brilliant in hot or cold weather.

jimboalee

Fab Foodie said:
Jobst Brandt says it makes no difference: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/cycling-myths.html

Subject: Cycling Myths
Following are various myths about cycling and why they are/aren't true.

Myth: Wearing a helmet makes your head hotter than if you didn't wear one.

Actual measurements under hard riding conditions with ANSI standard helmets show no consistent temperature difference from helmetless riders. Part of the reason is that helmets provide insulated protection from the sun as well as some airflow around the head. (Les Earnest Les@cs.Stanford.edu)

In answer to the OP. I wear a buff under my helmet too, French Foreign Legion stylee so the rear-flap protects my neck from the sun. Usefully, the edges can cover the ears to stop insects buzzing in!

Wearing a Silver coloured helmet on a hot sunny day is infinitely preferable to riding with the sun beating down on my head of dark hair.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
marzjennings said:
Get a sweat gutter, stops the sweat getting in your eyes...

http://www.sweatgutr.com/home.html

I've always found the hotter it gets the more a helmet helps keep my head cool. Especially as it gets over 100f.

A colleague has kindly just brought one over from NY today as requested, so I can't wait to see if it works tonight. I always get sweat in the eyes at exactly the same part of the journey home, stings like hell, so it will be easy to assess its effectiveness, especially as it will be pushing 30C tonight!

C

chillyuk

A smear of vaseline across the eyebrows used to work well when I used to run.

jcollins

I don't have much hair on my head, but due to it getting slightly warmer now i seam to sweat so much from my head. Even with a good helmet with plenty of ventilation it doesn't help.

If i wear a skull cap or a cap it gets soaked with the sweat and if i don't wear anything it drips in eye and stings.

What do other people do to get around this?

I got a sweat gutr from www.sweathead.co.uk. The best thing since sliced bread. Keeps the friggin sweat out of my eyes, and is really low profile. Can hardly see it under my helmet.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Take the brain boiler off and enjoy the wind in your hair (if you have any), that is the way cycling is supposed to be...

Archer

Those who use the sweat gutr - how good do you find ?

I'm balding, sorry better half has just corrected me, I AM BALD.:ohmy:

Anyway, with no hair there is nothing to stop the sweat dribbling into the eyes.

This bit of kit looks good. Would be interested in opinions on how well the gutr works.

jcollins

Those who use the sweat gutr - how good do you find ?

I'm balding, sorry better half has just corrected me, I AM BALD.:ohmy:

Anyway, with no hair there is nothing to stop the sweat dribbling into the eyes.

This bit of kit looks good. Would be interested in opinions on how well the gutr works.

It really works. I am also bald, and have always had sweat stinging my eyes. I bought mine about 6 months ago and I swear by it!

gavintc

Guru
I have recently upgraded my helmet to the top of the range Spec S Works from a good quality Met one. I have noticed immediately, that my head is cooler and I am no longer filling my sunglasses with sweat. The helmet itself is also no longer a dripping sweat bucket. So, from my experience, a better ventilated helmet has had a significant difference.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ride faster - then the sweat just goes straight backwards, like raindrops on the aeroplane windows. 

(Am I the only person round here who's never heard of a buff?)

Top Bottom