Swede

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I second Tete's suggestion. Boil it and mash with loads of butter and ground ginger. Delicious.
Might be trying your veggie cous cous tonight though.

Swedes were what you made hallowe'en lanterns out of before anyone in Britain had heard of pumpkins. I have memories of my mum resolutely scraping out the interior of a swede to made said lantern, and the vile smell that was created when the candle burned out the inside. For some reason I've never eaten one voluntarily, but I'm willing to give it a go. I think I prefer turnips.

OP
OP
P

Pete

Kirstie said:
I think I prefer turnips.
Me too, to be honest. Indeed in that same couscous recipe, we usually use white turnips in place of swede, and courgette in place of broccoli. But, if you want to keep to seasonal stuff... Incidentally, when I used to live 'up 't'North', swede (US 'rutabaga') was always called 'turnip' in those parts. Is this still true?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
Catch yourself a haggis, cook and mash the swede, cook and mash some tatties and hoots mon, a feast fit for a Chieftain (o the puddin race)!

That was going to be my suggestion...

Mmm. Fancy some haggis now...

Pete said:
Me too, to be honest. Indeed in that same couscous recipe, we usually use white turnips in place of swede, and courgette in place of broccoli. But, if you want to keep to seasonal stuff... Incidentally, when I used to live 'up 't'North', swede (US 'rutabaga') was always called 'turnip' in those parts. Is this still true?

I think a turnip is a small version of a swede. They taste nicer too...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
They were turnips when I was a lad... only the posh kids called them swedes (but now I call them swedes too). The white ones (what I now know to be turnips) I don't remember ever even seeing one till I was in my 20s!

This wikipedia "turnip disambiguation page" will be no help whatsoever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip_(disambiguation)

Cab

Swedes are turnips up on Tyneside where I'm from. Turnips are known there as 'baby turnips'.

And everyone knows that you're meant to make your lantern out of a turnip (thats, like, a turnip, not a baby turnip).

Cab

Regarding vegetable boxes; what are you guys who get them getting at the moment? I'm asking sort of as an outsider but an informed one, i.e. I'm an allotment gardener, so I've usually got a good range of my own home grown produce to chomp through. Its sometimes interesting to see what you chaps are getting though, see whats 'in season' for sale.

At present, I'm picking carrots, parsnips, scorzonera, salsify, celerica, celery, rocket, mustard, sorrel, chard, beetroot, Jerusalem artichokes, cabbage, kale, swedes and fennel. Got onions, garlic, chillis, squashes and potatoes all stored away to see us through till Spring.

Top Bottom