Swimming training plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
I don't know of any free ones, though there's a website called "Beginner triathlete" which I believe might have something. I have no experience of it myself. If you can buy something, here's a couple of options:
http://www.swimsmooth.com/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swim-Workou...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329817209&sr=1-2

One other thing you could do is have a hunt on the TriTalk forums for some of the long swim threads as there are often really good tips for drills and sessions to do on them - but you will have to read your way through some longish threads to find them.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Get a coach, go to a class or join a swim club. Seriously. You can train yourself all you like, but if you want to get better, especially technically, you need to have help. There is really no way around this.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
If I were you I'd make sure you get a chance to do an open water swim, in a wetsuit, with a bunch of other people as part of your training.
It is so different to being in a pool.
The first time I swam in a wetsuit it felt awful having my chest constrained in water I could not see the bottom in. It felt like I could not breath.

Then there are all those arms and legs and trying to sight where you are going. Best to get used to it so you don't panic on the day. You'll be fine though as you can just turn on your back in a wet suit, float a bit and then start again if you get a bit concerned.

One other tip, don't bother looking for a toilet just pee in your wet suit.

http://www.thelondontriathlon.co.uk/LTSwimZone.html

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Get a coach, go to a class or join a swim club. Seriously. You can train yourself all you like, but if you want to get better, especially technically, you need to have help. There is really no way around this.

You are absolutely right but money has been tight :sad: every time I plan for it something comes up. This month car disk + pads + birthday, next month car insurance, then by May I need to get a Wetsuit! :cry: I WILL get coaching!

xxmimixx - how much swimming do you do at the moment ???
At the moment I am doing just once a week, as I am running twice a week and cycling once a week. I do several types of drills for an hour. Training for four days a week when you work full time and have two kids is not so straight forward :hyper:

I've recently tried the swimfit website. Has free training plans from beginners up to competitive racers.
I'll have a look, thanks for the link and for replying :thumbsup:

If I were you I'd make sure you get a chance to do an open water swim, in a wetsuit, with a bunch of other people as part of your training.

I have this planned, in May the local lake is open for the local Tri Clubs. I am not foreign to swimming in open water, albeit different in many ways I used to dive. But I do appreciate that swimming in open water is completely different from pool and since I have two open water tri's this year then this is a must.

jay clock

Massive member
I have been doing tri for 5 years and am stil not a great swimmer. I am also unusual in being confident and better at OW swimming

Top tip is join a tri club (not a swim club) and get coached.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
[quote=" But I do appreciate that swimming in open water is completely different from pool and since I have two open water tri's this year then this is a must.[/quote]

I'm no diver but one of my friends is an instructor who does triathlons. He says racing in a wet suit is completely different to anything he has done. So you are right to give it a go and not assume it will be ok.

Doseone

Guru
Open water and pool swimming are chalk and cheese.

Practice sighting, it's really important.
You may be pleasantly surprised how much buoyancy you have from your wetsuit.
Unless you are confident try and keep out of the main scrum by staying a bit wide, especially round the turning buoy where it can turn in to a bit of a bunfight.
Be prepared to get a bit jostled, possibly get your goggles knocked off, maybe kicked a little. Don't let it bother you and know how to deal with it.
Did I mention sighting?
Learn to breath on both sides - various factors in an open water swim can dictate which side you breath on and it may not be your favoured side.
Practice getting out of your wetsuit in a hurry. No point busting a gut on the swim to blow it in T1.
Learn to draft in the swim. pick a pair of feet and stick on them. Just check they are going in the right direction every now and again (sighting!!).
Make sure you know where your bike is.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Open water and pool swimming are chalk and cheese.

Practice sighting, it's really important.
You may be pleasantly surprised how much buoyancy you have from your wetsuit.
Unless you are confident try and keep out of the main scrum by staying a bit wide, especially round the turning buoy where it can turn in to a bit of a bunfight.
Be prepared to get a bit jostled, possibly get your goggles knocked off, maybe kicked a little. Don't let it bother you and know how to deal with it.
Did I mention sighting?
Learn to breath on both sides - various factors in an open water swim can dictate which side you breath on and it may not be your favoured side.
Practice getting out of your wetsuit in a hurry. No point busting a gut on the swim to blow it in T1.
Learn to draft in the swim. pick a pair of feet and stick on them. Just check they are going in the right direction every now and again (sighting!!).
Make sure you know where your bike is.

very grateful you replied, many helpful tips there :thumbsup:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Seeing as we've been talking open water....
First open water swim of the year :-)
I was signed up for the latest of a local aquathon series. 400m pool swim and a 4ish mile run. However an open water group I know was in the area and swimming a small lake near me. I spent a while deciding which to do. I spent a while trying to get the wife to suggest I do both....
'nuff said... I had to chose. I dropped the aquathon. Justification being I had a wetsuit and some other kit I hadn't tried out yet and I've still got another (the last) of the aquathons , next month
I'd read about cold water acclimatisation and I had some experience of being in cold water from a few years ago, when I kayaked. I got to the bank with mental images of the experience being 15 minutes shivering along with 'ice cream headaches' .
As it turned out, it was a very different experience.
The lakes an old floodplain, generally 5-6' deep, the bottoms quite muddy so the waters not exactly clear. Initially there wasn't that much actual swimming. A bit of floating (it's great how much extra buoyancy a wetsuit gives!) and then a few of us agreed on something to 'sight' and headed off, which was repeated. Probably only a few 100m in all and about 30 mins in the water after taking the initial plunge. I wasn't uncomfortable, hands felt OK, without gloves.
At this point, I decided to call it a day. Better to get out feeling OK than 10 mins later shivering?

Top Bottom