Swimming training plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Ten degrees apparantly and sunny. The local tri club likes the water to have been a steady 11 for a few days. These weren't tri club, they were mainly 'Dove Dippers' (you can find them on FB) and there were a few without wetsuits. I wasn't sure what to take for when I got out. Figured plenty of layers.... didn't need them, but they were welcome.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
As a target/challenge I entered the sport relief swimathon, which is at the end of April. To push myself I entered for 2.5k. Entered back in Jan.
Thanks to a twinge in the hip I ditched tonights run, infavour of a pool swim
I've just done a minimum of 110 lengths, 2.75km, 1.7 miles
I'm now considering the 'Big Swim' at Nottingham 3 or 5km options
I've got to credit a lot of it to getting coaching via the group sessions at the local tri club

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Strange how sessions change, one to the next. I've neglected the running in favour of getting my swimming off the ground over the last few months. The last couple of weeks though I've had to switch focus as I'd a few races crop up. 5 milers, 10ks road and XC
I had to get back into the pool though, I've an aquathon on sunday...
Pool tonight was difficult, the coordination just didn't feel right. My breathing wasn't right (I think I kept losing focus and getting out of breath?) and my calf kept threatening to cramp up when I kicked off the wall. Add in the case that the seal on my goggles failed 3 or 4 times and a busy pool....it wasn't a great session.
So far from repeating 110 lengths I've probably done a warm up of 2sets x 10 lengths (500m total) and 6x100m
Called it a day
Positives, Its reinforced that you have to swim regularly.
I got a feel of the water before Sunday
I've got short term targets to work on - breathing
I've probably got time to fit in another swim before Sunday

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Gambette, I feel what you are saying, completely! The same thing happens to me, if Im out of the water too long it looks like I loose my sync completely. It's so easy to get back to running / cycling but the swimming needs consistency and although I absolutely love water, I m starting to find it less peasing out of the 3 activities as Im improving much slower and giving me less satisfaction. Well done on signing up to the Swimathon that sounds as a real challeange but at least it will give you focus. Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:
I still intend to get 121 lessons but have so many other priorities at the moment! I need a wetsuit, clun tri suit, BTF membership etc the list is endless :sad:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
How many Tri's are you on about doing? I looked at BTF membership, realised I wouldn't be doing enough races to make it worthwhile for myself.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

I count 5-6 this year, all sprints. May do an Olympic as my last one of the season in Sep. I'll cover as with the club discount membership it's £41 and want to benefit from the insurance cover.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Aah, for me its going to be 2-4 tris, starting with a sprint, an oly about september. So it wouldn't benefit me.
I'm going to intersperse these with running and swimming events. I've got to work out some cycling events too.....

Top Bottom