Swimming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
Help !
I have been signed up to Swimming lessons for my 3 year old.

Although he loved swimming at 6-12 months last time we went when he was 20 months he hated it and screamed the place down.

Any ideas what I need to take for him ??

Arch

Married to Night Train
Downward said:
Help !
I have been signed up to Swimming lessons for my 3 year old.

Although he loved swimming at 6-12 months last time we went when he was 20 months he hated it and screamed the place down.

Any ideas what I need to take for him ??

Apart from tranquilizers, by the sound of it?

I'd assume the best people to ask are the pool - do you mean whether you need to take armbands and the like?

surfgurl

I would suggest going swimming again before the lessons.
Can you take him during baby/toddler swim time? Ring the pool and find out when this is. The water temperature is normally warmer then.
Get in the pool yourself first, so he can see you splashing about. Get some armbands or small rubber ring to play with. Try and use these in the bath first so he gets used to them before you go to the pool.
Splash about in the water and get him used to the water splashing his face. Swim about while holding him so he gets used to the feel of the water.
If he is too distressed stay on the side of the pool. Sit with him so your feet are dangling in the water. Eventually he will get the hang of it and want to go in.
Don't stay in the pool longer than about 20 minutes. He'll get too cold. When you get out get a hot shower and get him dressed and warm first before you dress. Maybe take a dressing gown so you don't freeze as you dress him.
Swimming lessons for little kids are good fun. It's all about splashing about and getting used to the water. They normally have lots of staff there and in the water too. One of our local pools adjusts the floor of the pool so the little kids are only every waist deep. Fine for them, but means you have to practically lie on the floor.

ChrisKH

Guru
Try to go along with a friend from playgroup or someone their own age. Peer group pressure and the knowledge that they will be there as well can be a driving force.

Ask around and pick a good teacher. We had one excellent lady who was very strict with the children and didn't take any nonsense. Kids can see your weakness as a parent and play on it (or play you like a banjo; I should know I've been strummed enough) but when it's a stranger they have to do as they're told. The kids thrive on it IMO. Let the teacher do the teaching otherwise you end up just offloading all of your hang ups and insecurities on them (nothing personal). There have been times when I swear one or other of my precious 3/4 year olds were drowning in a lesson but they never did. They're now like fish. The discipline has to be there otherwise they end up like my s-i-l's kids who are self taught and still can't swim properly at the age of 7. That's my experience anyway.

Mr Pig

My son did exactly the same thing. He loved the baths then developed a fear of the water and screamed the place down when you took him into the water.

What I did was take him into the baths, despite his protests, and threw him up and down in the water! I threw him up and let him go right under before lifting him out again. He screamed the place down but I just kept doing it. It's quite safe as kids hold their breath automatically when their heads go under the water.

After a few minutes he realised that he was not going to die and was actually having fun! He was never scared of the water again, in fact we had the opposite problem. As soon as he got near the pool he would jump in. One time he puled his armbands off whilst we were out on the side of the pool and I had to dive in and grab him.

We've taken a similar approach with all three kids and they're all very confident in the water.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Mr Pig said:
My son did exactly the same thing. He loved the baths then developed a fear of the water and screamed the place down when you took him into the water.

What I did was take him into the baths, despite his protests, and threw him up and down in the water! I threw him up and let him go right under before lifting him out again. He screamed the place down but I just kept doing it. It's quite safe as kids hold their breath automatically when their heads go under the water.

After a few minutes he realised that he was not going to die and was actually having fun! He was never scared of the water again, in fact we had the opposite problem. As soon as he got near the pool he would jump in. One time he puled his armbands off whilst we were out on the side of the pool and I had to dive in and grab him.

We've taken a similar approach with all three kids and they're all very confident in the water.

Thanks
He loves the bath and loved swimming until he was about 18 months where he was proper toddling.

It's a proper teaching thing over 6 weeks so i will maybe give them a call and see whats involved.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sure I've heard that a suddenly developed fear of the water (when it was ok before) is a natural phase to go through. I suspect (this is a pet theory of mine at the moment) that it's something to do with increasing independence and mobility. My reasoning: I've also heard that children tend to become faddy about food (especially green veg and other less sweet stuff) at about the time that they start to be able to feed themselves and walk about unaided and that this is a natural defence against eating poisonous berries and the like - sweet things are normally ok, and bitter things are often bad for you. It makes sense that caution around water would also be a good trait. Until you can get about independently, you can totally trust your mum to do the right thing (hold you in water, feed you stuff). Once you're able to make your own way, you suddenly need to be more cautious....

Watching my nephew grow up is making me realise how fascinating child development is...

Willow

If he hasn't been since 20 months and is now 3 he probably won't remember the experience and it is a different experience to being in the bath. Fit a visit in - is there one locally where you can walk into the water rather than be at waist height straight away. Seeing you in the water may help. Take a few bath toys or something else for him to play with, depending on his personality he may need to be held close for reassurance or the 'boys play' throwing up and down type of thing may work better.

My son insisted on crying the place down for several weeks, unfortunately I felt in his case it was attention seeking as his younger brother was sat with me and when I took him swimming he was fine. So if he decided not to go in he had to sit at the side of the pool until the lesson was over - it was torture but eventually he got there. Now I'm not suggesting you adopt this policy at the moment but just be aware there may be other motives in the screaming. Are there any of his friends in the lesson if not do you think one of his friends parents may be interested in taking their child, that may help. Also sometimes a couple of private lessons to get them going helps (cost is an issue though) plus sometimes usually in the school holidays pools do intensive courses ie. you go every day for a week, that would get him used to it. Good luck it can be a painful process. Both my boys now love the water so the moment will pass.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Well luckily I am taking him on my own. He seems to be better behaved and calmer with 1 parent around.

Should I buy some Arm Bands ?

Willow

Downward said:
Well luckily I am taking him on my own. He seems to be better behaved and calmer with 1 parent around.

Should I buy some Arm Bands ?

See what they do in the lessons some places don't use them some do. If you use armbands and then he's not allowedd them in the lessons another confidence issue may arise.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I certainly learned without armbands. I suspect it's like stabilisers on a bike - they help in the short term, but once they're off, the advantage is lost a bit. (I know, the advantage of having them is lost, of course, but I mean the kid takes a step back once they are gone)..

Armbands aren't so good: Swim Noodles are the way to go. More fun and encourage proper swimming movements.

p8052.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:

Damn! I've just tried this with my lad and he's gone all blue and floppy and won't talk to me. What did I do wrong?

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
I am back and yes - 30 mins in pool and 30 mins of screaming.

Will be going back for the next one though !

He was the oldest by far, The younger kids love it as he did at that age but now he is not happy. The fact it was cold didn't help either I don't think.

Top Bottom