Switching between parallel surfaces.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Had an off today! No major damage but I always try to reflect and try to minimise chances of it happening again.

See this picture attached.

To avoid the bump I tried to follow that red line and go round it. This meant transferring off tarmac onto soil. Then when I tried to merge back onto the tarmac there is a small lip given the tarmac sits a few centimetres above the soil. My wheels didn't mount the lip but just ran along the lip and of course my weight was leaning to the left to guide the bike back onto the tarmac. Over I went.

Are there any techniques to execute here it is it just a case of slowing right down to take the bump. Unless you approach the new surface at anything other than close to 90 degrees it seems likely to happen again. Had similar with tram tracks too.

Could maybe lift the handlebars a bit but my bike is not light enough for bunny hops.

Any advice or just slow down and take the bump.

Btw it's the Bridgewater way near the trafford centre. First time I rode it, woeful craters and lumps way bigger than those pictured. Have contacted Peel who are responsible for it I believe.

Attachments

• 20221111_172039.jpg
    20221111_172039.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 9
Don't leave the tarmac at the last minute. If you took your red line you've introduced a sudden side ways force one way then the other then you might have touched your brakes; you would have been better to roll over the tree route. Better bike handlers than me would bunny hop over it though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Worst crash I've had since learning to ride was like that. It's basically a rough part -hidden kerb. Unless you can get back up riding near 90 degrees across it, don't.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Been along that route loads of times. Just ride the bump. If you ever need to tackle that sort of rut again, slow down and take it at a much steeper angle.
My dad tried doing the same as you on a tour in Wales. He went down same as you except he wrote his helmet off, slashed his arm and sprained his neck which is still causing him grief some 3 months later.
Always underestimate your tyres grip and you'll have fewer injuries.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just ride the bump and get some more practice riding surfaces like that. Never take changes in surface at a shallow angle unless you've got more off road orientated tyres. Ashton canal is like that, lots of movement due to roots, just hit them straight on (I don't slow down).

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'd opt for the bump, particularly in damp/slippy autumnal conditions.

I'd lift off the saddle slightly, keeping knees bent/"loose".
That way, my arms, legs & bike experience the bump but the rest of my body doesn't.

I barely need a saddle on some of my local roads!

Top Bottom